Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about the noise

I bought a long stored 77 GS750.

I have cleaned up the carbs and am working on the brakes. I feel like things are coming along nicely...but it has a 4 in 1 header and this baby is loud. Is there any way to quiet it down without replace the whole exhaust system. The guy I bought it from said they were kerker headers but all I can say right now is that they are black and oh so very loud.

Robin

Re: about the noise

If the muffler has a removable baffle tube, you can re-wrap it. Also, J.C. whitney sells some Emgo replacement mufflers that would probably work and they are not too expensive. About 20 to 50 dollars if I remember correctly.

Earl

Originally posted by rgierer
    I bought a long stored 77 GS750.

I have cleaned up the carbs and am working on the brakes. I feel like things are coming along nicely...but it has a 4 in 1 header and this baby is loud. Is there any way to quiet it down without replace the whole exhaust system. The guy I bought it from said they were kerker headers but all I can say right now is that they are black and oh so very loud.

Robin
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

about the noise

The problem is that it has no baffles at all. A 4 in pipe that is empty. I would like to find a baffle kit or something to tone this girl down just a little...or maybe a lot.

R

Comment

Re: about the noise

Originally posted by rgierer
        The problem is that it has no baffles at all. A 4 in pipe that is empty. I would like to find a baffle kit or something to tone this girl down just a little...or maybe a lot.

R
        that aint a pipe its an echo echo echooooooo chamber :P

Comment

about the noise

It does have remarkable resonance though.

Do you think pipes like that will hurt the bike?

R

Comment

Without any backpressure it's going to be really free flowing and cause a lean condition of not jetted accordingly. You can run open pipes (not legally around here anyway) as long as you're jetted for them.

Comment

Working...
            X