Gas leaked on my side covers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leaked on my side covers!

I seem to have a leak in the underside of my gas tank. It's intermittant and I'm having a hard time figuring out where it's coming from. What I do know is that it flows to the back of the tank and from there is leaks down the side panels. I now have a dark vertical line on each of my side panels.

It looks like it's residue left over from the gas (possibly combined with rust - something else that needs to be looked into ) , but I can't scrape it off with anything gentle enough to not damage the plastic. Is there any sort of solvent I can use that will remove this stuff that won't dissolve the plastic?

mark

I use Meguires #6 cleaner/wax on my collector cars when I see this happening (overflow from the gas filler neck). If it hasn't ate into the paint, this should clean things up and apply some wax to boot.

Roger Moore

Comment

Sounds what I had on the Koot Scoot. Someone before I had the bike seems to have had a tank bag, or something attached for a very long time. The result was rusting at the back corners of the tank.
      Suggestion: drain the tank and take it to a radiator repair shop. Have them clean it inside and then line it. I did this on another bike of mine and it cost me $50. $50 well spent. It didn't leak any more.

The Koot Scoot? I was able to solder the rust pin pricks from the outside. This was done after cleaning the gas out of the tank throughtly running water through it for an hour to make sure there were no residual gas fumes in there. Although the soldering iron is electric and no open flame, it was still wise to safe.

Comment

gas leaked on my side covers

I to have the same problem. If it is just the left one (mostly) it's probably that silly pet-cock I have a leak in it that blows a nice oily/gas mixture all down the side of my GS850 I leave the Pet-cock in the "prime" position or it would be much worse.I think it's some sort of vacuum related thing?? just a guess

Comment

Re: gas leaked on my side covers

Originally posted by Phaedrus12
          I to have the same problem. If it is just the left one (mostly) it's probably that silly pet-#### I have a leak in it that blows a nice oily/gas mixture all down the side of my GS850 I leave the Pet-#### in the "prime" position or it would be much worse.I think it's some sort of vacuum related thing?? just a guess
          Have we really sunk so extremely low as to become THAT politically correct? Now, that sucks!
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: gas leaked on my side covers

Originally posted by Phaedrus12
            I to have the same problem. If it is just the left one (mostly) it's probably that silly pet-#### I have a leak in it that blows a nice oily/gas mixture all down the side of my GS850 I leave the Pet-#### in the "prime" position or it would be much worse.I think it's some sort of vacuum related thing?? just a guess
            Have we really sunk so extremely low as to become THAT politically correct? Now, that sucks!
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X