Fuel Tap leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tap leakage

Hello I am a long way towards restoring a GS850 GN and have encountered a couple of issues. Firstly the fuel tap was leaking when I put it back on the bike after the rebuild. I could not pin point the leak but foolishly assumed it was the o-rings drying out. I disassembled the tap and replaced with a new kit front and rear. Reassembled it dry. I fear I may have got the rear membranes the wrong way round as it is leaking now in a slow steady drip from the main outlet in the on position and I think this is only supposed to happen under vacum. I imagine if I put it on the bike in this condition I would overflow the carbs? My workshop manual only shows the front half of the petrol tap assembly which would apear to be fine. Does any one have and exploded view of the tap they could email?
    I will put the other question under a new heading.

if you go to bikebandit.com and look in the oem parts they have an exploded view there. i had that same drip and ordered a rebuild kit. i ended up pulling it apart before the kit came and stretched the spring out a little and wiped off all the rubber pieces, and it works!! i'll rebuild it another day i guess....good luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the help I'll try stretching the spring. The picture on the bandit site is the same one as in my manual and does not show the rear half of the unit.

Comment

good it puts more pressure on the diaphram so the O ring will seal better

Comment

Kewl, I'll try that too before I buy a new diaphragm.
          Thanks!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Hey I was going to ask the same ?. If the bike sits for more than a day it is flooded and fuel is getting by the carb boots. I dont know why not but there is no evidence of fuel in the oil. I will change it anyway after I get the leak stopped.

Comment

Working...
            X