Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs1000 530 conversion advice needed and where to get spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 530 conversion advice needed and where to get spacer?

I have read some posts and I know its been discussed but I was wondering if anybody knew specifically where to get the appropriate spacer for the 530 conversion for my 80gs1000e.

Any recommendations on the front/rear drive ratio/size sprockets? I read that its better to go up one tooth on the front sprocket to elongate the chain life. Is that true? Steel or aluminum.......any suggestions?

What kind of chain is the best for the 1000? Strong enough and O ring? Suggestions? Thanks

I wouls imagine you could take the old sprocket to a machine shop and have it cut down to be used for a spacer. Some where I think I saw a reference to using a sprocket off of a Kawaski KZ650?????

Comment

OK, so I see various opinions for the 530.

1. I need the 6mm spacer.

2. 530 front and rear sprockets are 15-24, 16-45, 14-38? Which is best for the chain?

3. How many links in the chain? I want one of those "rivited" ones I think, not those with the clip that keep flying off everybody's bike (potentially). Is it called a riveted master link?

4. DID vs. RK?

Comment

Here's where you can figure it http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/gearing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Comment

Do you need the same spacer for converting a '77 GS750 to a 530 chain?

Comment

YES

Comment

Modern chains are tough enough to take any gears you throw at them. Hence, don't worry about the sprockets. Just pick something that gives you the ratio you're looking for.

Rivets v. clips has been debated before in this forum. Use the search feature to find some of the old stuff. I've use clip links exclusively for the last 15 years and have never had a problem.

Comment

Have to disagree on this one. The 79 750 is the same and I have converted mine to #530 chain. No additional spacer is required. The stock countershaft sleeve/spacer that is already on the bike and used with the #630 chain is all that is needed when converting to #530 chain. #530 and #630 sprockets are both 3/8" thick.

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  YES
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earlfor, I just bought the 530 front sprocket for my conversion today. Already had a rear sprocket, and no spacers is a good thing. I do have a lathe and mill in the garage, but I'm that lasy.

Comment

The 750 did not have the sound deadening rubber on it, which used a spacer on each side of the sprocket. So I would think the 750 is an easy conversion to 530.

Comment

I just changed my GS1000S to a 530 from the 630.

I kept gearing stock, 15 front 42 rear.
                        I went with steel sprockets and RK o-ring chain.
                        I did use a 7/8 inch washer on the nut side of the front sprocket.
                        I got it at the local hardware store,,,,79 cents.
                        I did not use the rubber cush on the front sprocket.
                        Everything lined up fine, no twists, no rubbing of the chain on the frame.

String shows it's in a straight line.
                        I haven't put any miles on it yet, waiting for the exhaust to come in....
                        Put when spinning the wheel, no noise out of the front sprocket.

I had bought a 100 link chain, way too short.
                        I used about 112 links,I bought another chain,not piecing one together.

So far so good.
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                        X