Can't Unlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Unlock

The bike is an 1982 GS850GLZ that I just bought as a restoration project. I turned the bars to lock them and now I can't unlock them. The key won't turn. It is locked in the fully-clockwise position that leaves the tail light on, so I had to disconnect the battery. I tried WD-40 and both keys that came with the bike (I didn't get an original key, by the way). Up to that point, the key and lock seemed to be working fine. Any suggestions?

Just keep jiggling the key. Once those ignitions get worn they will operate with any key given enough jiggling. A bit of graphite may help align the tumblers or let them slide past the cylinder instead of jamming up but it's dirty stuff. If your keys have been cut wrong they may only work on one side. ie. You can use a key that's only been cut on one half but you have to put it in the correct way.

Steve

Comment

Pull the handlebars, hard right, or wiggle them a little, just to be sure the locking pin is not binding.

Comment

Try pushing the tip of a flat head screwdriver against the end of the locking mechanism. Spray it first and push it in while turning the key.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Push down on the key while turning the key

Comment

Can't Unlock... the Solution

The solution is... have a new key made from the key code. I removed the lock and took it to my local locksmith. He found the key code stamped in small numbers on the side of the lock. (I didn't see the code until he showed it to me.) He made two keys from the code and they both work great! Even the seat and the helmet lock started working better. The cost for two keys was $22.75.

Comment

Working...
            X