Need everyones help on this problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good previous suggestions.
    You may have more than one problem. The most common cause of a high idle after warm up is an intake leak. Spitting out the carbs is also a lean condition caused by an intake leak or low fuel level in the bowls.
    I would replace the manifold o-rings, and manifolds too if they are getting hard or look questionable. Put some hi-temp brg grease on the o-rings and torque them down to 6 ft/lb. Make sure the carbs "pop" into the manifolds and tighten the clamps good. Of course, if you're lucky, you can just try tightening the manifold clamps first and see if that helps.
    You should also clean your petcock and check for good fuel flow.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I had a similar problem with my GS750, but not as extreme. I eventually found that the fuel metering screws were incorrectly adjusted (the factory set ones you 'shouldn't touch' under the carbs). I set these to 5/8th turn out and the bike ticks over propery now.

Are you running standard jets and air box, are these new carbs jetted correctly?

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by gs750es1983
        Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but now it only starts in the morning if I use starting fluid. Never had this problem before. (started before all of the other issues)
        Heres a rundown of what I replaced in the correct order

petcock
        Stator (havent replaced the R/R yet)
        clutch cable
        choke cable
        plugs
        air filter
        I dont know if that helps anyone.
        As far as starting in the morning with starter fluid... Starting procedure for most GS's is Full choke and no throttle. I personally put the petcock in Prime postition for a few seconds to insure fuel bowls have fuel.
        Do you have more than 12 vdc at the battery?
        Are you getting correct charging voltage from the R/R (~13-14vdc)?
        What brand of plugs are you using?
        You said you replaced the carbs. I would also pull the float bowls from #1 and/or #4 carbs(can do without removing carbs from bike) and check the starter fuel passage which has a tendency to clog.

Comment

Hmmm...sounds like the hell I went through with my Vulcan750 a year ago. Didn't know my left/front coil was going out and thought it was a fuel problem until I got on the highway to go to the salvage yard. That coil cut out and dropped me from 80 to 50 in about 3 seconds in heavy traffic.
          Pulled over safely and checked out the bike after turning it off. Nothing. Started it right back up just fine. Got a few miles down the road and BAM, coil cuts out again. I figured then it was an electrical problem...something heating up and cutting out. I made it to the salvage yard and bought 2 new coils instead of a crash guard. Took off the tank and changed them on the spot. Bike fired up like better than new and has been running fine ever since. Of course my stator died a few months after that but that's another tale of woe...

Dm of mD

Comment

sounds like several problems.
            vacuum/air intake leaks need to be addressed.
            small popping from carb intake could be a tight intake valve. could cause loss of power and low RPM too.
            Big boom out exhaust means; ignition (spark) was lost, then came back and ignited all the unbuned fuel that passed through the cylinders into the exhaust system. Like ans "external" combustion engine. Poor ignition can also cause low idle and hard starting, and no power.

Comment

Where might I find a new coil? Or is there a way to test the coil to see if its not within spec?

Comment

other than visual, like looking for cracks, or hooking it up to a device that checks coils and other electrical, like the auto guys have, i don't know how to test a coil. It also sounds like your problem is intermittent (Sp?) so the coil could spec out ok and then go bad under different conditions, like load or heat.

Maybe the eaisest way is to find another coil at a junkyard and do a quick swap. Good luck!

Comment

I couldnt deal with it anymore. I put the beast down. I removed the life support system. And put a few caps in her butt. In other words, I brought her to a shop. They said it would be at least $400 to check it out and prolly fix the problems... New intake boots, synch carbs valve adjustment oil, etc etc... I know I am being ripped off, but no matter what I do, it doesnt help... Thank you guys for all the quick responses! I will definitely let you guys know, what the mech finally finds, and post it up here in case anyone else has the same problem later on.

Comment

Working...
                  X