Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition points

Looking for a little information:

In investigating cost/availability of points, condensers, etc. for my first Suzuki, a recently acquired '78 750E, some places I've seen listings for two apparrently different ignition setups - one identified as "Nippon Denso type" and the other as "KD type" (I believe. I know it was a 2-letter combination, and i'm pretty sure the first letter was K, but I won't swear what the second letter was anymore). At any rate, what's the difference, and how do I tell what I've got on my bike? Thanks!

The nippon denso has two screws holding the points on the KD? has just one screw. I have a set of KD? points I don't need, do you need them. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure which type I have; I'll check it out tomorrow evening.

Comment

Also, authentic nippondenso point sets have a small stamp with the letters ND stamped inside a circle that is about 1/2 the size of this "o" character. You will probably need a magnifying glass to read it. :-) Kokosan points have no stamp. The stamp is located on the top of the point base just behind the pivot pin for the points. Nippondenso points sets are short (maybe 1 1/8" long), kokosan sets are long (about 1 5/8" long).

Earl

Originally posted by Bill + Karen
        The nippon denso has two screws holding the points on the KD? has just one screw. I have a set of KD? points I don't need, do you need them. Safe Riding, Bill
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OK, I pulled the cover a little while ago; my points are secured by one screw, so it looks like I have kokosan points. I assume, of course, that they're not interchangeable, with different size, mounting, etc. Just to satisfy my curiosity, what's the background on the existence of 2 different setups? My apologies if I'm requesting information that already exists somewhere in the Resources, but I did do a search before I posted and came up with nothing.

I've possibly jumped the gun a little bit :? ; I just bought a couple of point sets on eBay; one set is identified as ND, item #1843152058; the other one isn't identified, item number 1843669666. I can't tell from the pictures, but to me the ones identified as ND sure look like they're set up for just one mounting screw. I guess I'll see when I get them. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X