Batteries and Acid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batteries and Acid question

Hey, my girlfriend's 82 Honda CM250C was purchased last year with a new battery just installed. When I got it home I noticed that it did not have any fluid in it! Like an idiot, I filled it up with distilled water (not acid) and charged it.....well, it worked pretty good but obviously kept on dying after a few weeks. I don't even know how it worked with no fluid in it before I added the water. I had to jump it when we went to look at it initially but once running it runs strong. Its totally dead now and I wonder if my charging it and its dying have made it a "bad battery."

Basically I want to know if I can simply dump out the water and fill it with acid now? My neighbor says I can. Or, did I already ruin the battery?

I also see a lot of batteries online all of which are sold without the acid. WTF? Where can I get some good acid?

....for the battery?

I'd say save up about $25 and go to walmart and get another battery and give up on that one. You would be spending that much just for the acid.

Comment

I agree with Don. Scrub the old one. Buy a new one and start off where you know where your at then.

Comment

Yeah, you're right. Its off to the store tomorrow..... 8)

Comment

I had the same problem and I too went to walmart to get a battery. Make sure you look it up and get the battery yourself though. Those tards got me the wrong battery and wouldnt accept it when I tryed to return it after I filled it with acid.

Im sure you know this but I didnt when I first got a battery. When you charge the battery use a trickle charger.

Comment

Also if a battery goes completely flat on you it drastically reduces the batteries life. If its not in use keep it on trickle charge with an "Optimate" or similar.

Comment

You need to figure out why it was empty. I left my battery in my bike for a year without using it (outside, -30 winters) and my battery was empty after that. That's okay, but if your charging system is boiling the battery you've got problems.

Steve

Comment

Re: Batteries and Acid question

Originally posted by 77gs550
                Hey, my girlfriend's 82 Honda CM250C was purchased last year with a new battery just installed. When I got it home I noticed that it did not have any fluid in it!
                Sounds like a bad prep job. Did you get the bike from an individual or from some sort of dealership?

WTF? Where can I get some good acid?
                Do they have raves in your area?

....for the battery?
                Oh! Check with auto supply stores or most garages will let you fill up a mcy battery if you ask them nice. The acid will come with the battery if you purch off the shelf.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Back in 1998 I worked at a John Deere dealership that had a 200 litre barrel of acid. You could check your local JD shop.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bustinjustin2k
                    I had the same problem and I too went to walmart to get a battery. Make sure you look it up and get the battery yourself though. Those tards got me the wrong battery and wouldnt accept it when I tryed to return it after I filled it with acid.

Im sure you know this but I didnt when I first got a battery. When you charge the battery use a trickle charger.
                    Yeah, good point. At Pepboys the guy gave me the wrong battery for my 1000 but I caught it. He gave attitude when I asked to see the log/numbers but digressed after I pointed out he was about to give me the wrong one.

Originally posted by dpep
                    Sounds like a bad prep job. Did you get the bike from an individual or from some sort of dealership?
                    Individual who had no clue about how to operate or maintain the bike. Bought a new battery but did not charge it or fill it!

Do they have raves in your area?
                    Unfortunatly yes....but at 29 years old I am an old man/NARK to those kiddies.....

Oh! Check with auto supply stores or most garages will let you fill up a mcy battery if you ask them nice. The acid will come with the battery if you purch off the shelf.
                    Good idea. Thanks

Originally posted by srivett
                    You need to figure out why it was empty. I left my battery in my bike for a year without using it (outside, -30 winters) and my battery was empty after that. That's okay, but if your charging system is boiling the battery you've got problems.
                    It was never filled since new. She forgot to add the acid! I forgot to check......doh!

Originally posted by paul
                    Also if a battery goes completely flat on you it drastically reduces the batteries life. If its not in use keep it on trickle charge with an "Optimate" or similar.
                    http://www.accumate.co.uk/it010003.html
                    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X