Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 1980 1000cc G and GL model frames interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are 1980 1000cc G and GL model frames interchangeable?

Now that I?ve owned and wrenched and ridden and loved my 1979 GS1000L, and enjoyed the technical wisdom and general good humor here on the GSR for the past year and a half or so, I have finally succumbed to the ?logic? of Nick Diaz and other shaft-drive ?standard? G model devotees here on the GSR.

I have decided to acquire a 1000 cc or larger standard G model, get her up and running, registered and reliable, and then thereafter sell my current 1979 GS1000L (chain drive). I?ve squirreled away a $1000 ?war chest? of funds to acquire and commence repairing/restoring a G model.

There are two different model 1980 GS1000 shaft-drive parts-bikes for sale in my area for relatively ?cheap? money ($300 asking price each, and they both run!). I?m considering using the two to create one legal and road-worthy bike, with the other left over for spare parts. One is a 1980 GS1000G, which is the model I want, but it does not have a title, and the other is a 1980 GS1000GL, which is not the model I want, but it does have a legal ?clean? title. Plus, I could use a few of the parts from the 1980 GL on my 1979L and could ultimately give away the 1980 GL to whoever eventually buys the 1979L.

Here is the critical question: Are the 1980 1000 cc G and GL frames the same?

I understand that certain mounting points might be different (seat mounts, exhaust hangers, etc., but I can fabricate new mounts) but is the cradle frame the same size, same length, same steering head angle, same rear shock location, etc.?

My goal is to take most of the stuff from the standard G, and put it into the GL frame that has the title.

Thanks for your responses in advance. I must be a glutton for punishment to be considering this after all I?ve been through repairing/restoring my 79 1000L. It?s just that I?ve increasingly become aware that my body size/shape and riding position simply does not work very well on an ?L? model. It?s a great bike for many people, it just doesn?t fit me.

Are the 1980 1000 cc G and GL frames the same?

Yes.

Nick

Comment

Nick,

Thank you. If anyone would know this stuff it would be you.

But I'm a little confused now because I called my local Suzuki dealership this afternoon. The guys there know me, and I know which ones generally know what they're talking about. A guy I generally trust to know his stuff looked up the frames on the microfiche. They have 2 different part numbers, and they have a $200 price differential between them (the GL is more expensive).

He said the heads at the triple tree looked a little different, the swing arm distances looked a little different, and there were a few other minor differences, such as no grab rail on the GL frame to pull the bike up on the centerstand. To be fair, he also said its tough to compare these things back-to-back on the microfiche, but they are definitely not exactly the same.

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

The differences are minor. The GL has different forks, but the steering stem should be the same, or at least interchangeable.

Even if the part numbers aren't the same on the fiche, they still can be interchangeable. As you said, mounting points are different, and that poses no major problems.

The engines are identical. That's the main thing. I doubt very seriously that the swingarms are any different.

Making one bike out of these two should be fun. Incorporate the best of one or the other as you see fit. You'll probably have a unique hybrid with parts from one or the other.

I have a hybrid GK myself, with lots of GS850 parts on it. The triple tree is off an 850, and so are the fender, forks and front wheel. The calipers are stock GK parts, as is the speedo drive.

The fenders aren't the same. The mounting points on the GL fender are placed differently to allow for the leading-axle forks.

Mix and match is the name of the game. Have fun with it. Let me and the rest of us know how the project goes, and continue asking for help and opinions as you go.

Nick

Comment

Nick,

Thanks again. Based mostly on your follow-up answer and partly on my confidence that I could always sell some parts from one or both bikes to break-even on my purchase, I have decided to buy both bikes.

I phoned both sellers this evening and agreed on $250 for each bike. I'll pick them up this weekend. So, I've got a $1000 budget, with $500 gone to acquire the two bikes and the other $500 left over for renovation items like fluid and filter and plug changes, gas tank repair/replacement, seat recovering, carb cleaning/rebuild, stator and regulator/rectifier replacement, etc.

Gonna be a lot of wrenching going on in what little spare time I have, mostly at night after the kids go to bed.

But the best part about this new project is that I have a perfectly-running, reliable GS 1000 L to keep me smiling on the road whenever I can get a chance to ride, while I can take my time screwing around with these "new" bikes. Plus, after the last GS renovation project, I'm much more confident, experienced and knowledgeable about what I'm doing.

It's mostly thanks to you and others on the GSR that have shared your knowledge and experience.

Comment

I did some deep digging and have found that the frames are not the same.
            they do have identical geometry and the engine mounting points.
            the differences are with the rear sub frame.
            the side cover mount tabs are totally different, the GL frame is missing the helmet hook and seat mount taps on the left side there is also a flat curved cross member on tom that is not present on the GL frame.
            the top shock mounts appear to be in the same place and it appears that the lifting grab handle will mount right up.

the swing arms are different, the GL's is a bit shorter, but the pivot dimensions and the bearings are the same.
            all in all the differences are minor and it will be easy for a good welder to transfer the tabs and seat mounts from the G frame to the GL frame.
            the swing arm is real easy to swap out, when my secondary gearbox seal failed, it took me twenty minutes to pull the rear wheel and unbolt and remove the swing arm.
            piece of cake!!

Comment

Working...
            X