Steps & Tools to remove Front & Rear wheel from a 65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steps & Tools to remove Front & Rear wheel from a 65

Ok, so i need to get both my wheels of tonight to get new wheels mounted tmrw and i wanted to make sure i had all the right tools before i get started....

and also if anyone could verbalize the basic steps that would be great also..

my biggest concern is when i remount do i need a torque wrench and/or locktite..?

Thanks for any and all info

Phil

Phil,
    Are you taking them to be done? If so, how much are they charging you? We're planning on working in the garage this weekend and we could do your tires then.........FOR FREE....(well, maybe some Labatt Blue).

Front wheel:

No special tools needed. Just a straightforward disassembly.

Put the bike on the centerstand and prop the front wheel up off the ground. You can put something under the front frame rails or tie the handlebars/upper triple clamp to something above, like rafters or garage door rails.

Remove one of the brake calipers(if you have dual front brakes) from the fork and tie it up so it isn't dangling by the brake line. Not necessary if you have a single front brake.

Remove the cotter pin on the axle nut.

Remove the axle nut.

Remove the axle. This may take some work as they get corroded inside the wheel and are hard to pull out. Try tapping on the nut end with a rubber mallet or something else that won't hurt the axle threads. You can also tap it through with a wooden dowel or something else that won't hurt it.

Keep track of the order the spacers and speedo assembly go onto the axle.

Once you get the axle out the wheel should drop. Pull it out carefully from between the brake pads and maneuver it out past the fender and forks. You may need to remove the fender to get the wheel out if you haven't propped the front end up high enough.

To re-assemble, just reverse the above steps. You should torque the axle nut and the caliper bolts. You may need to pry the brake pads apart to get the brake disk(s) to slide into them. Do yourself a favor, clean the axle up with steel wool and coat it lightly with grease before putting it back together. It will come out much easier next time.

You should also replace the cotter pin on the axle nut.

Rear wheel:

Similar to front but I can't help much 'cause you have a shaft and I've never done one of those.

Good Luck,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I don't know how to deal with the shaft end of your bike but the front is simple enough.

First break loose all of the bolts holding the wheels on and get the bike up off the ground safely.

Then, if you've got them, remove the two bottom nuts that hold the bottom half of the left fork off. (some people don't but it makes it easier for me, put them back on with blue loctite).

Then pull the axle through and you're done.

There's a torque for putting the wheel back on but it's not important as long as it's tight and has a cotter pin in it. If you don't get the speedo drive into position the wheel won't fit in between the forks.

Once it's all together pump the brakes a bunch to get them back into position. Then step back and think about everything you touched to get the bike apart. I do this as I usually forget something...that something is generally the nuts for locking the rear wheel alignment bolts in place.

Steve

Comment

The Nuts for the front axel caps should have a dab of locktite when reinstalled. If you put a jack under the front of the engine, after you remove the front wheel first you can lower the front to gain more clearence for the rear wheel. Remove the brake calaper, remove the lower shock nut, remove the wheel axel, pull the wheel away from the differential and it comes right out . Don't forget to grease the drive splines with heavy grease before reinstalling the wheel

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
          Phil,
          Are you taking them to be done? If so, how much are they charging you? We're planning on working in the garage this weekend and we could do your tires then.........FOR FREE....(well, maybe some Labatt Blue).

Damn it...joe.....i know.....this whole weekend is tied up w/ family stuff and my patience is wearing very thin......$35 or $70 depending on whether the wheels or on or off.....i'd rather work with you so i can learn something but i'm not good at sitting around....

when are you guys getting together again after this weekend......?

Comment

Phil,

If you mean $35 for both wheels that isn't too bad. If it's $35 each that's kinda steep. We'll probably get together next weekend too. After that I'm out of town for the next two weekends skiing and golfing in Lake Tahoe.

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

$35 is for both wheels....off, $70 on

i'll touch base with you after the weekend..see if you'll be in the garage next weekend....

Comment

Working...
              X