No announcement yet.

To hone or not to hone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will phone the guy up and get the details of how to use the Ajax. BTW, if you think about it, Ajax is an fine abraisive and this is what you need to seat rings that are polishished a bit. Something to rough them and the cyclinders up a up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      If there is enough of a ridge to be conserned about IT probably needs to be rebored
      Actually, it has 40,000 miles on this bore and you can still see the cross-hatching from my last rebuild. Synthetic oil is great!!!

Hap

Comment

Unless the ridge is really bad, no need to remove it.

The old AJAX trick was used around here to temporarily fix up motors with known soft rings/bores before selling. It should not be need on road cars unless it is to cover up some other problem.

Hmmm..if synthetic is so great, why the need for a rebuild so soon? I have forgotten what the problem is it has been so long!!!

Comment

Originally posted by saaz

Hmmm..if synthetic is so great, why the need for a rebuild so soon? I have forgotten what the problem is it has been so long!!!
          It was starting to smoke due to over heating in traffic... my valve seals were hard as rocks.

Hap

Comment

Hap: I thought the GS bikes ran cooler at idle than on the freeway. Did it overheat because of the big pistons?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              Hap: I thought the GS bikes ran cooler at idle than on the freeway. Did it overheat because of the big pistons?

Steve
              It was an August night here in Texas, temperature was about 98 F or 35 C. The Higher compression and bigger bore may have been a contributing factor. It was stop-and-go traffic for about 30 minutes. The rings and cylinders look fine, the damage was to the valve seals, especially the exhaust valve seals.

Hap

Comment

My valve stems seals are also a bit like that. Only 20 years old too.....

Comment

Working...
                X