Stage 3 w/ stock air box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stage 3 w/ stock air box?

I am going to try and make this happen on my 650gl. I know these bikes run lean from the factory, and it has a 4-1 and a free flow filter in the box, does anyone think its possible to run the kit with the leanest settings and get good results? I'm going to try it anyway but maybe someone has some experience w/ this?

You're heading for tuning problems. Stage 3 is not designed with your mod's in mind, period. A stage 1 jet kit is what you want. You may also get good results by going up 1 full size on your main jets and if it's necessary turning your mixture screws out maybe 1/2 turn. Raising the jet needles with a shim may be necessary, but I would first just try the larger main and mixture screw adjustment and see how it runs.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

what kit do you have on your bike? The bike runs lean as it is with 4-1 exhaust and free flow filter installed by a previous owner. I would think a stage 2 kit would absolutely be appropriate, and I am just going to see how I can make this work because it was cheap. The bike has lean running problems now, and I've read of people having to fatten up stage 3 kits with pods. As I see it the worst that would happen is that I would have to buy pods and retune. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by travellite
        what kit do you have on your bike? The bike runs lean as it is with 4-1 exhaust and free flow filter installed by a previous owner. I would think a stage 2 kit would absolutely be appropriate, and I am just going to see how I can make this work because it was cheap. The bike has lean running problems now, and I've read of people having to fatten up stage 3 kits with pods. As I see it the worst that would happen is that I would have to buy pods and retune. Anyone else have any ideas?
        Your topic said you want to install a stage 3 kit, which is designed for pods' and a pipe. But now you're talking about a stage 2. With your mod's, you only need to bump up the main and pilot circuit mixture as I said, and possibly shim the needles as many here have done. There's a good chance you would'nt have to touch the needles.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

OK, So maybe I'm wrong and a stage 3 would be too much no matter what. The stock main jet size is 110 so should I go up to 112.5 or 115? I saw a rule of thumb chart that said i should go up two jet sizes and one pilot jet size. Going to 112.5 would be one size and 115 would be two? I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

The mixture screw is the one that is covered from the factory for emissions right?

And say I need to shim the needle? What do I use to shim it? Is there some specific type of washer or will anything do?

I was talking about the stage 3 kit the whole time, I ordered one because it was inexpensive, and maybe now I'll just put in a main jet and give the kit to the next owner.

Thanks, Ed

Comment

Originally posted by travellite
            OK, So maybe I'm wrong and a stage 3 would be too much no matter what. The stock main jet size is 110 so should I go up to 112.5 or 115? I saw a rule of thumb chart that said i should go up two jet sizes and one pilot jet size. Going to 112.5 would be one size and 115 would be two? I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

The mixture screw is the one that is covered from the factory for emissions right?

And say I need to shim the needle? What do I use to shim it? Is there some specific type of washer or will anything do?

I was talking about the stage 3 kit the whole time, I ordered one because it was inexpensive, and maybe now I'll just put in a main jet and give the kit to the next owner.

Thanks, Ed
            Each increment of 2.5 is a step. I would put in 115 main jets.
            I would not change the pilot jets for your mod's. I would remove the caps on the mixture screws and adjust them. I would guess to say 1/2 turn out from where they are would help. Be sure to use a good fitting tool because these screws can be tight and you don't want to damage the head. Always write down any adjustments you make. I really don't think you'll have to shim the needles. I mentioned it as a possibility. You have to test and take plug reads and go from there.
            The spacers(shims) that come in jet kits are for making changes of 1/2 of a position on the needle. They may vary in thickness depending on the spacing of the needles grooves or notches. They are generally .020-.025" thick. I always use the spacers included in jet kits, but there are many members here who say they shim up the existing needle. At least in the U.S. the stock needles are not normally adjustable because they don't have an adjustable clip and multiple grooves in the needle. Jet kits supply this adjustable clip/ needle. The jet kit needles can be shaped differently, so don't put a stage 3 jet kit needle on a motor without pod's. As I said, I have never bothered to shim up a needle that's not normally adjustable. I don't know if the shim has to be larger in outer diameter than a typical shim or what? You can always ask members here what they used for shimming up a stock needle. Jet kit shims are about 1/5 " in outer diameter and the hole of course is just big enough to fit over the needle.

Comment

Working...
            X