1979 GS1000S Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000S Engine Rebuild

I'm planning to rebuild the engine (pistons, rings, bearings etc.) of my '79 GS1000S but I'm having a hard time finding engine kits for it. Does anyone know of any sources of quality engine kits?

Re: 1979 GS1000S Engine Rebuild

Originally posted by ilmarinen
    I'm planning to rebuild the engine (pistons, rings, bearings etc.) of my '79 GS1000S but I'm having a hard time finding engine kits for it. Does anyone know of any sources of quality engine kits?
    Go to www.wiseco.com - and click on the Powersports catalog. They have two kits for the GS1000, a 1085cc (73mm bore) and a 1100cc kit (73.5mm bore). List price is $440.19 but you can get them cheaper than list.

The bearing can be purchased at any bearing house or at you friendly over-priced Suzuki dealer. There are parts dealers that advertise in the back of Cycle World and Motorcyclist that can get the parts you need for a lot less than the local dealer will sell them to you and you do not have to pay sales tax.

Hap

Comment

Good Luck

My summer last year was spent the same way. I have a spare engine I use for parts that is in fairly good shape. Blew the main bearings out but I have good gears, head w/valves etc. If you run into a bind e-mail me, I may have what you need. I ended up going through a local shop for all my parts & gasket kits, the local dealers parts guys were D**KS! The old, " we won't deal with something that old " . Hmmm my twenty dollar bills were dated 1977 and they would have dealt with those for new bike parts!

Comment

Re: Good Luck

Originally posted by Steve_N
        Blew the main bearings out but I have good gears, head w/valves etc.
        How in the name of Sweet Nelly Furtado did you take out the mains in a GS1000?!? 8O

Must be tuned, right?

Or did you drain the oil out? Toughest bottom end around.

Comment

Main Bearings

To make a long story short, it was a case of letting my younger and dumber brother take the bike for a ride and abusing the hell out if it Never again will I ever let anyone drive my bike. Expensive lesson. That was some 17 years ago and he is still in bad graces with me.

Comment

If you don't have one get a parts diagram for your bike available ON CD
            You will have better luck if you go with part # in hand and you won't have to wonder if the parts guy is ordering the correct parts You can also compare prices with internet prices

Comment

Working...
            X