warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warm up time

How long does everyone's bike take to warm up, mine seems to be taking longer since I corrected the ignition timing, which was way way off. Also, what's everyones policy about riding with the choke on for a minute, do you or don't you, I've never gotten a clear answer.
    BTW, I'm riding a 78 gs1000ec

peace

Ill bet you get a million diferent methods here
    I start mine with full choke when it has not been started in any given day--then i let it go t about 3K and cut it back to 2500 and a minute later back to 2000--I let it run for just another minute and reduce the choke till the idle comes down to 1000 rpm and someimes i goose it with the throttle to see if it is taking the gas-- Next move is put it in first and go a bit at a verymodest speed. My temperature guage
    doesnt move for a few minutes after that- and the bike doesnt get oil up to 200+ degrees for almost 45 minutes--same proceedure all year round- i dont ride if the OAT temperature is below 65 to 68 degreesF--after the first startup i never use the choke(or almost never)

Comment

My starting procedure is to pull full choke, and start the bike, set the choke for about 1500 to 2000 revs and then I go to put my jacket, gloves and helmet on. THen I attend to any baggage and futz around a bit with my sunglasses and watch. By the time I sit on the bike it is usually ready to go. About 8 to 10 minutes warm up and then take it easy until I hit the first stop sign. On a return home from work, I choke the bike, start and go after about 5 minutes. If the bike is warm I don't worry about warm up time.
      GY

Comment

I usually start with full choke and then idle down to 2500 rpm's for a minute or so. Then like Gerryy, I take it easy for a few minutes or miles before I get on the throttle to any degree.

That is just how my bike does the best, yours could and may be totally different.

Michael

Comment

Sunny California

Out here in sunny California (big sun..even bigger taxes!) I usually choke it slightly for a minute or two. I think if warm-up time takes more than 3 or 4 minutes, it might indicate that the bike is running lean. I know I had such a problem right after I rebuilt the carbs. I backed out the air screws and cut warm up time to a fraction of what it had been. 8)
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I start full choke then back it down to 2k and let it idle for about 2 minutes ..then I press in the choke and ride off....A bit longer when it is very cold out

Comment

I use the identical method as Gerryy to start my bike.

Comment

Hmmm, I thought it was bad news to let your bike idle for longer than 5 or 10 minutes on air cooled engines. It was my understanding the jugs could get really hot and with a lower rpm, the oil cooling isnt' very effective.

Comment

I just set the choke,start it and go.

Comment

I pull the choke out about half way and throw my clothes pin on the rod and push it back in. Start the bike and let it idle down to about 2000 rpm. ( know I'll catch hell for this part) then I have a smoke. By the time I'm down the bikes warm and I take off. The clothes pin is there as I park in a pay lot at work. The lot closes at 9 pm and they stick a small envelope under the windsheild wiper of the cars to put your money in. They use the clothes pin to stick the envelope to my windsheild. This changes as the weather gets cooler I have to use more choke.

What you have to do is figure out how to best start your bike. Remember cooler weather will change the way its done. Well on my bike and I imagine alot of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
                      I pull the choke out about half way and throw my clothes pin on the rod and push it back in. Start the bike and let it idle down to about 2000 rpm. ( know I'll catch hell for this part) then I have a smoke. By the time I'm down the bikes warm and I take off. The clothes pin is there as I park in a pay lot at work. The lot closes at 9 pm and they stick a small envelope under the windsheild wiper of the cars to put your money in. They use the clothes pin to stick the envelope to my windsheild. This changes as the weather gets cooler I have to use more choke.

What you have to do is figure out how to best start your bike. Remember cooler weather will change the way its done. Well on my bike and I imagine alot of others.
                      Hey JB
                      maybe your clothespin trick is what i will do for my new carbs--it sounds perfect

Comment

It depends on the air temperature, but I usually just use 1/2 choke to start my GS1000 and leave it on choke for no more than 10 seconds (remember, the longer its on choke the more fuel you use, and the more likely it is for oil to be washed off the bores by the excess fuel). I like to get moving pretty quickly (careful going into 1st gear!!!) but don't rev it above 3500rpm for the first couple of miles. After that I add about 1000rpm for each extra mile. This seems to work as when I inspected the bores on my last GS at 60k miles the original crosshatch hone marks were still visible and there was little or no sign of leakage past the rings. A mechanic friend of mine could not believe that the engine had done more than 20k.

Regards
                        Yoshi

Comment

I use full choke to start it, cut it back to about 2000 rpm or until it starts to miss and then smooth it out. I let it idle for few seconds and keep cutting back until it will hold a steady idle of about 1000-1200 rpm. Then like Scotty, I check throttle response, and if it's good I ease out for a ride. I've got a mile of quiet road to warm it up as I go.

Comment

I won't comment on how to warm up an engine because I don't do it properly but as for riding with the choke on... I wouldn't. If you ever pulled out of your driveway neglecting to see a car your response would be to gun it when you did see the car but you could get flattened since the bike would just bog out.

Steve

Comment

My bike is not standard, so procedures may vary. Also weather here varies between -10c and 40c...so depends on the time of year!!

Usually, choke full on to start, let it settle into a 1500 or so idle (whatever is steady)..I have lumpy cams etc so a bit different to std. I put all the bike gear on then get on, turn choke off and ride off keeping it below 3000 or so until it warms up. For most riding below 4000 is plenty anyway (keeping to speed limits, which all on here do I am sure with such an old veteran bike!!)

The bike lets me know when it is warm enough as the fron starts lifting up with a bit of throttle......

Standard emissions legal bikes may need a bit of choke for a while to stop the staggers.

I have had the old girl for 22 years, so we have a relationship.......

Comment

Working...
                              X