warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warm up period

i start my gs750es with full choke if its the first start of the day. lean back
    to about halfway(2000-2500 rpm). leave it there while i'm putting on my helmet and gloves and then lean it back slightly and hit the road. less than a mile down the road the choke is switched completely off. letting it warm up any longer than that unless you live in a cold climate would be overkill.
    if the engine hasn't warmed up enough in that time you have a problem.

Comment

Re: warm up time

On my 750, I pull out the choke, start the bike, and let it run for about 10 seconds, and shut off the choke. Then I let it idle and warm up for 4 or 5 minutes before I ride away.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Hi Chev,

The choke question depends on what type of carbs you have. The Mikuni vacuum carbs use a starter jet, not a choke. It only operates at low revs by picking up extra fuel from lower in the float bowl through a separate jet. As you increase revs the fuel comes through different jets and the starter jet is merely a small fish in a big pond, so to speak. This means that the mixture is rich at low revs but as the revs pick up it gets to normal burn.

On carbs where the choke operates a butterfly you will richen the mixture not only at low revs but right through the rev range. It is this type of carby that bogs down if you have the choke on after the engine warms up and you open the throttle too quickly.

Normally you only need the choke until the bike idles OK at rest or, if you are moving, pulls away OK at low to mid revs. There is nothing to be gained from sitting in the yard warming the bike up to operating temperature if you could be riding it already as it warms up. The only thing to keep in mind is not to conflabberise the motor by gunning it too hard while it is running cold.

Kim
        Great new word, Eh? I wonder what it means. :-)

Comment

I start my '78 GS750 with full choke, and almost immediately I have to shut it partially off to prevent the motor from revving to the moon. I adjust the choke so it idles nicely, and then slowly turn it off while revving the bike slowly. I don't ride away until the bike will rev cleanly with no choke, and I don't mean 9 grand revs, just 3 or 4. This only takes about 15 seconds or so, as the bike is garage kept, (naturally). For the next 5 or 10 minutes I try not to rev it past 4 or 5 grand until it warms up. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
          X