Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

backfire screen / airbox screen / asbestos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backfire screen / airbox screen / asbestos?

Hi,
    I just got a 1982 GS450TZ.
    Inside the airbox are 3 things:
    1) a foam air filter
    2) a plastic filter-holder (2 pieces)
    3) between the filter and the carburetor there are a
    pair of unremovable metal screens (like the screening
    on a screen door) with some light-colored fibrous material
    sandwiched between them.

Question: is the fibrous material supposed to be
    there, and if so, what purpose does it serve?
    Is it asbestos?

Speaking of asbestos, do my brakes or clutch have asbestos in them?

Tom

No I don't think that's asbestos inside you're airbox. Asbestos is a poor filter media. Most likely it is like the glass fiber media I use in air sampling to remove dust.

As for your brake pads, they probably are asbestos... there are new kinds that are made of ceramics, metals and a few other things but it's not likely you're bike would have these.

Let me just say this again for anybody who missed it before... The kind of asbestos that brake pads are made from is not the NESHAP regulated "friable" asbestos used to insulate buildings 20 years ago. In fact I think most brake pads still have asbestos content... I know I can still buy asbestos gloves for my hot-work. It's like different grades of plastic, used for different things and having very diffent make-ups. So you don't have anything to worry about.

Comment

Asbestos

Asbestos falls into the same category as lead paint...much more of a legal issue than a health issue. If we didn't have so many greedy lawyers and a legal system that begs manipulation, you probably would never have heard of either. (sigh) :roll:
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
        Asbestos falls into the same category as lead paint...much more of a legal issue than a health issue.
        You're mostly right. If left alone and undisturbed in a building the friable asbestos isn't harmful, and because it's so fire and heat resistant it's probably better than most insulations. It's only when it's damaged or disturbed that it becomes a health threat.

Here's a little history lesson for everyone about that.
        Back in the late 70's and early 80's the USEPA was very young and stupid. They believed that they were going to regulate every possible harmful substance from creation to disposal ("Cradle to Grave"). They started with two things... Asbestos and PCBs. In short it took them many, many years to regulate these two under a system called TSCA (ta-ska) and they finnally realized they couldn't do it this way and switched to a system called RCRA (re-kra) which braudly groups chemicals and harzards.

Well, when they were working on the TSCA program the EPA was very young and zelous and decided that the first two things they picked were the most horrible things on the planet (that's why they started with them). But now the EPA has a much clearer view of what's really a hazard and has developed a RISC approach. But they also can't go back and undo the regulations, because that opens the door for every company for the last 20 years to go back and sue the government to all the excess spent on cleanup.

And the reason I know this? It's my job, I'm an environmental chemist working as a consultant to companies and the EPA.

Comment

Oooops

I forgot to mention the overzealous environmentalists....I think that would have made my response fairly complete.(sigh, again) :roll:

Comment

Re: Oooops

Originally posted by chuckycheese
            I forgot to mention the overzealous environmentalists....I think that would have made my response fairly complete.(sigh, again) :roll:
            I know, I know... I'm a bit nuts. :roll: But there's a big difference between and "environmentalist" like me who cleans up spills and an "environmental activist" like those tree-hugging hippie vegetarian retards who stand outside a clean-up sites with protest signs. Or worse yet, fire guns over my head while I'm trying to do monitoring work. Those people are farked in the head.

Comment

Any mineral fiber, asbestos or not, has the potential to be harmful. However, you are right, in the concentrations that he'll be exposed to, it won't matter.

Comment

Daboe

Hey Larry,
                No offense intended and I certainly wasn't aiming my "barbs" at you!! I figured you were a good guy all along!!!! :roll:

Comment

Working...
                X