Who's ready for a stupid question,...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's ready for a stupid question,...?

I'm about to show just how inexperienced I am here, but that's why I bought the bike in the first place.

How do I know what size sprocket I need for installing new spark plugs? I can't put any of my current sprockets on there since they're not long enough and my car SPS don't fit either.

Are they universal? The SP's are the NGK B8ES's.

Re: Who's ready for a stupid question,...?

Originally posted by UncleMike
    I'm about to show just how inexperienced I am here, but that's why I bought the bike in the first place.

How do I know what size sprocket I need for installing new spark plugs? I can't put any of my current sprockets on there since they're not long enough and my car SPS don't fit either.

Are they universal? The SP's are the NGK B8ES's.
    I believe you need an 18mm deep socket.

Hap

Comment

Go to any automotive/tool store (Sears, PepBoys, Autozone, etc.) and get a 13/16 sparkplug socket. It will fit the NGK sparkplugs and will have a rubber insert that will hold the sparkplug when you lift the plug vertically out of the hole. It will also hold the plug when you are trying to insert the plug.

Harrison

Comment

Awesome!

Thanks.

Comment

You're welcome.

Harrison

Comment

The 18 mm socket fits the D series NGK plugs. The hard part is turning the plugs to see if they are a D...

Steve

Comment

isn't a thin wall socket needed??

Comment

Most of the specifically designated sparkplug sockets are deep well, thinwall (relatively), and quite a few have a hexagonal area on top so they can be turned with a wrench or another socket. The special feature that makes them specifically a sparkplug socket is the aforementioned insert. Actually, for the NGK 8ES any 13/16 deepwell socket will do. Many motorcycles take different size sparkplugs, however, so you may need to have several different size sockets if you have several motorcycles. The early eighties Honda CB650, for instance, takes a really skinny one.

Harrison

Comment

Any 13/16 or 18mm plug socket will work What helps when installing the new plugs is to put a short length of hose on the end of the plug to turn it with before using the socket to avoid cross threading them

Comment

Got the socket last night guys. Thanks for all your help.

What I usually do is just keep the little cardboard tube that it comes with on it.

Comment

I bought myself two new sets of deep sockets in SAE and Metric because I got tired of this little game. I did the same with Torx drivers and sockets.

Comment

:roll: :roll: Hi

The NGK B8ES need 21 mm socket.

Same as most oildrain plugs.

:twisted: Had my first ride in 2004 today .

Comment

Working...
                        X