1980 GS750L Fuel Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750L Fuel Petcock

The fuel petcock on my 1980 GS750L does not have a "selector" on it. There is a slot where it looks like one belongs there, but my local Suzuki dealer looked up the fische and it does not show one. Other online parts suppliers do not show one, either.

Does my style of fuel petcock not have a prime or reserve function because of this?

Kevin

Oh, boy!

I've got the same bike you do and consider myself to be an expert on this subject...not by choice, but because of all the problems I've had in the past. Your petcock does have a prime position (which probably doesn't work) but it doesn't have a reserve. They only used those petcocks on a number of 1980 models and they work very poorly.

The reason they were used is because there's very little clearance between the tank and the motor for that year and they needed a small one that would fit. I gave up on mine after filling my crankcase with gas several times. I put on a Pingel and it works just great!! It is a tight fit but, in the proper position, will fit just fine.

If you do a search, you'll find messages that I (and others) have left regarding Pingel stock numbers and installation advice. The standpipe on the Pingel will have to be shortened (due to lack of clearance inside the tank). Be sure to check out the procedure before you do it 'cause you don't want to wreck your new petcock. If you have questions, I'll be glad to help and I'm sure others will, as well. Good luck!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks. I will search for the Pingel stuff.

Comment

OK

You're welcome, Kevin. I guess I made it sound like Pingel is your only choice...really, it's not, but I think it's your best option. You could buy a new OEM petcock and hope for the best but this forum has been filled with sad stories about the original petcocks. Also, there is no rebuild kit for the petcock you have.

I looked around to see if I could find a suitable one that would be cheaper than the Pingel and was unable to do so.....and I looked pretty hard. :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
        X