Fuel Delivery Problem To Cyl's 1 & 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Delivery Problem To Cyl's 1 & 2 ?

Hello everyone! I am a newbie here to this forum, but am not new to motorcycles. I own several bikes and perform all maintenance on all of them. Everything from engine and transmssion rebuilds to total bike restorations. I just wanted to give you a brief history before I post my questions.

The motorcycle in question is:
    1981 GS650GL VIN: JS1GP71L9C2108339 Manf. Date 12/81

My uncle, a great guy, owns a 1981 GS650L. He found it in a barn with only 8500 KM's on it. (about 5000 miles). Got it for $1.00, but it required a lot of work to get it rideable. He took it to a Suzuki dealership, had them go over it top to bottom, all cleaned inspected, all fluids changed, you name it. He spent a fair amount but he did the get it for $1.00 so it still was a great deal in the end. That was last summer. He rode the bike all last summer and parked the bike in October of 2003. He did not drain the crabs or put any sort of fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank. Periodically over the past winter he attempted to start the bike, it would not start. My uncle
    did say that as the fall weather got cooler overnight, the bike did become more difficult to start.

Based on my experience with M/C's this is usually a symptom of a too lean pilot circuit. I would expect a larger pilot jet or maybe a slight opening of the pilot adjustment screw may make the bike easier to start.

Spring is close now, and still the engine would not start. The battery died
    over the winter and would not hold a charge. A brand new battery was installed. Still no go.
    I volunteered to help get this little bike going for him. I have no service manual as of yet and I have never owned or worked on a Suzuki before.

I get the M/C home to my shop, I did manage to get the bike started by holding the starter button, full choke, and a few rolls on the throttle all at the same time. It still was hesitant to start, the starter button had to be pressed to keep the engine going even when it was firing for a few moments to keep the inertia moving.
    When I was able to keep the engine running it was running really rough. I put my hand on the exhaust pipe on the front by the exh. valves, I found only cylinders 3 & 4 were getting hot. 1 and 2 were not firing. I let the bike run this way for a few minutes and cyl's 1 & 2 never did warm up.

Next I pulled #1 spark plug and ran the engine again, lots of strong blue spark at the plug and tons of compression. I put it back together and did the same to plug #2. Same thing, great spark and compression. This led me to belive that this was a fuel delivery problem. I thought, maybe the floats are stuck closed in carbs 1 & 2. I opened the bowl drain screws on the bottom of carb 1 & 2, plenty of fuel ran out. So there is spark, and compression and fuel in the bowls...Hmmm.. I pulled the fuel tank off to get a better look at the carbs and how the fuel was delivered to the bowls.
    Nothing obvious there showing a problem. Seems to me the next step is to yank the carb rack and look further at #1 & 2. Before I do this I wanted
    some of your input. You people with lots of experience with these bikes offer a wealth of information.

What are some of the tricks to pulling the carbs on this bike? Remove the airbox first? Leave the throttle & choke cable connected? Are these carbs a real pain to re & re?

Any comments and help appreciated.

Keith

1982 Honda V45 Magna
    1997 Honda XR650L
    1983 Honda XR100
    1972 Honda CT70
    1976 Honda Z50a

You say you have tons of compression, have you actually done a compression test? If compression is lower in those cylinders it will no adequately draw fuel in to burn. If compression is down check your valve clearances first per the manual. If they are fine, could be rings. If it is drawing fuel into the chamber but not firing the plugs will be wet with gas. You said it had spark. The carbs would be the next item to check ensuring the jets are not clogged.

Comment

Some Dealers Need To Get It Together

Yanked the carbs today and removed the jets. Yuck! The dealer did a real crappy job cleaning them last summer. Looks like he ran a wire brush around and through them, blasted some air and slammed it all back together. What a dissapointment to have the dealer do that. The pilot jets were so badly coroded and pitted they should have been replaced when they had the carbs apart. Stupid really.. It is amazing what crap some dealers will pull to make a buck. My uncle spent approx $1000.00 US funds for the Suzuki dealer to go over his bike top to bottom to get it in top mechanical condition. I have seen a lot of dirty carbs and I know there is no way the jets could get as dirty and coroded as they were over one winter, if the dealer had cleaned them properly.

Comment

Oooookay...i'm officially scared off from taking my bike to the stealership!! 8O 8O 8O

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
        X