Alternatives to points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to points

I'm going to be getting my GS400 back together again soon(-ish) and wondered if there's any mileage in replacing the standard points system with an electronic ignition?

In my opinion it is one of the best mods you can make to any bike. Well worth the cost and time in doing so. Absolutely. Go for it.

Comment

It would be a good upgrade if you can find one---- The points are very reliable so I wouldn't worry about it JUst clean and adj every 5K miles

Comment

If you want a Newtronics Electronic Ignition see www.bigfour.co.uk

(free postage - It's my website!)

Comment

Cheers for the info people.

Next question:

I'm not keen on not being able to change the HT leads on the standard coils. Has anyone tried other coils on the GS400?

To KW: I've got a spare front wheel for a 425 at the back of my garage. What do you think it would be worth on eBay?

Comment

Originally posted by OtterUK
            To KW: I've got a spare front wheel for a 425 at the back of my garage. What do you think it would be worth on eBay?
            No idea mate - best bet would be just to stick it on there and see what happens!

Comment

Old GS wheels usually don't bring much It costs alot to ship them $$$$$$

Comment

Hey KW.........That site of yours looks promising!!!!
                As for the GS wheels......They dont reach much on ebay.

Comment

anyone got an opinion on which is the best electronic ignition; Newtronics or Boyer Bransden or something else?

Q

Comment

Hey.....this is beginning to get a U.K only thread!!! Sorry...only used the original suzi. ignition, but everyone seems to rave about the `newtronic`!

Comment

Originally posted by nicky boy
                      Hey KW.........That site of yours looks promising!!!!
                      It'll get better once "her who must be obeyed" stops giving me jobs around the house to do!! Just found a good deal on HEL braided lines so these will be going on there soon too.

Never tried the Boyer Ignition, but I am very pleased with the Newtronic one I fitted to my 750. About 2 hours (including a coffee and *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ break), and it cured the major misfire I had at around 6500 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by KW
                        .......one I fitted to my 750. About 2 hours (including a coffee and #### break), and it cured the major misfire I had at around 6500 rpm.
                        Hey.... what's going on???? Why the hashes in my posting? Does this site have a downer on smoking? Or does the word f.a.g. not mean cigarette over there??

Comment

Originally posted by KW
                          Originally posted by KW
                          a coffee and #### break
                          Hey.... what's going on???? Why the hashes in my posting? Does this site have a downer on smoking?
                          I wonder if people from that corner of Lincolnshire called S*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$horpe will be allowed to post on here?

Comment

Originally posted by OtterUK
                            Originally posted by KW
                            Originally posted by KW
                            a coffee and #### break
                            Hey.... what's going on???? Why the hashes in my posting? Does this site have a downer on smoking?
                            I wonder if people from that corner of Lincolnshire called S####horpe will be allowed to post on here?
                            ROTFLMAO

Comment

F ag is slang for a homosexual over here.
                              I have a 78 GS425, I still have the points on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X