HORRIBLY stupid question re:85 gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HORRIBLY stupid question re:85 gs550e

OK, get your laughs out of the way first. I need to remove my (rusty) tank and carbs on my 85 gs550e. It will be my first attempt at any work on my own as this is my first bike. I know the carbs have a vacuum tube and a tube from the fuel petcock. Is the vacuum tube the one on the outside of the carb? Basically I have a full tank of gas that I need to drain and I really don't want to spill gas all over my driveway. Can someone give me a step-by-step on how to do this? Thanks![/b]

The smaller of the two is the vacuum hose, connects to the intake side
    of the #2 carb. If the petcock is working properly you should only loose a teaspoon or two of gas when you disconnect the fuel line and remove the tank . If you need to drain the tank, Run a length of hose from the petcock to a container and put the petcock on prime

Comment

Thanks for your response! I'm so new, though, that I need more detail. Do I partially remove the tank first before draining it? When you say the vacuum hose connects to the intake side of the #2 carb, is that more on the inside or the outside of the carb? Each carb has what appears to be an identical hose on the outside of the carb. Remember, this is the one with the two dual throated carbs. Sorry to be so green at this, but I just want to make sure I do this part right. Thanks again.

Comment

With the handlebars facing forward put some bricks on either side so that the wheel doesn't turn. Then undo the bolt(s) on the back of the tank (seat off) and tilt the tank forward. You want to disconnect the big line (only two connected to fuel tap) and put a line from the tap to the filler of your car and set it to prime. If your tank is above the car filler it will drain on its own. It won't be fully empty. to get it completely empty you'll need to remove the tank and tilt it around. Don't worry about the carb connections, you'll be in a world of trouble if you have big hands and want to put them back on. :P

Steve

Comment

So when I remove the big line, do I want it on run or reserve, and then move it to prime to start the draining once I have a line into a reservoir (I'll be draining into a 5 gallon can)?

Comment

Run to disconnect, prime to drain. If your tap is broken it'll drain even in the run position so work on the grass.

Steve

Comment

Thanks! OK, another quickie. To get the gas out that remains in the carbs ... what do I do there? Sorry for my ignorance, but I have to start somewhere.

Comment

There is not a lot of gas in the carbs, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just take the carbs off, When you remove the float bowls there will be a small amount of fuel drain out. There is a drain screw/bolt on the bottom of the fuel bowl, if you want to do it,

Comment

Last question, I promise. The line that I run from the tank to my gas can ... how big? Just big enough to capture the fuel, similar in size to the fuel line?

Comment

I always just pull both lines off and put the tank on a bucket. I have never spilt a drop this way.

Comment

Regular 5/16 fuel line works fine

Comment

OK, thanks for the help! Got the tank off with no problems and very little gas spilled, actually none! The carbs, however, are still on the bike because ... OMG! They are impossible to get off! It's an 85 gs550e and I've heard this can be the case. It's like they built the bike around the carbs! Very frustrating. I tugged, pulled, pushed, wiggled, you name it, I did it, and they're still there. Any tips? I'm thinking now of just taking the bike somewhere since I've done some of the labor already.

Comment

Unbolt the airbox, loosen the boots from the airbox to the carbs, and slip the airbox back in the frame as far as it will go. You won't gain much clearance but it will help. Loosen the clamps that hold the carbs to the manifiolds. Wiggle the carbs up and down while pulling them back.

Comment

Thanks, but I already tried that. I might give it a few more minutes tomorrow, but not too much. I may end up taking it somewhere, as it has a few other things and it's new to me, so I might have someone give it a once over while doing the carbs. At least I've done a bit of the labor.

Comment

When I had to remove the carbs from my GS850 I had to use length of 2x4 and pry them out, the rubber boots were dry and did not want to let go of the carbs. Had to fiddle to get them back on too

Comment

Working...
                              X