striped oil drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

striped oil drain

Hello again, its me Ard, with the 1983 GS750E. Everytime I try to use the bike, seems like I find something new. as I ask you, guys and gals few days ago, about the hard to find neutral, I got good feedback specially from Earl and Steve. Well Steve mentioned that if the oil is dirty, could cause the shifting problems. I decided I should start with the oil change so I can eliminat the theory of the dirty oil, well I found out that the oil pan is stripped.at the drain screw.
    I should say that I dont know anything about bikes, but I maintain my family vehicles including some of my neighbors, so I know how to use tools and I know what nut or bolt should take light torque or heavy torque.
    Is there any insert? or how do you guys fix this problem.
    any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you,

Ard

How about a Helicoil?

Comment

helicoil

how does it work?

Comment

heli coil

A heli coil is just basically a threaded metal insert that takes the place of the stripped threads. A special tool is needed to insert the heli coil into the hole. A kit generally costs about $15. A machine shop shoould be able to do this work for about $30. Personally I would remove that oil pan and have a shop do it off of the bike. Howver this causes you more work than you probbably what. It can be done on the bike, but whoever is doing it must be sure that no metal shavings stay inside the oil pan.

You could also use an expanding type oil plug that is made out of rubber, but I would worry that it might rattle out. You could also use an over sided drain plug from an automotive store, but you would need to measure the original threads on the plug to purchase the correct one, but then I would be concern about metal shaving again.

Comment

Try this post...

Comment

Thanks, I copied that info into my service book just in case I need one sometime. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Marine
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I rode my bike for about 10k miles with a rubber plug. Finally had it helicoiled. It's bombproof now, no matter how drunk I am changing the oil I don't think I could strip it.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

weoof, this was the first scare, but you guys came through again, thanks to Billy Ricks, Marine, Quietone, Jetro, Knelson, and everyone that jumped on the topic for help
                As I read the problems that members bring up, and see the solution that is there, I come to one conclusion, it is not the bike that is built so well. it is the members that know how to upkeep the bike through disasters.
                Keep up the good work and thank you again.

Ard

Comment

Working...
                X