Oh s$#@, I think it's broken...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh s$#@, I think it's broken...

hey guys and gals, I think I have a problem. Most of you will probably get a good laugh at my expen$e, but I'm expecting that. I was trying to take the verticle play out of the front brake lever, and for some reason I assumed that I could do this by removing the lever, and pinching the two pieces that hold the lever together. Yes the two pieces that are also attached to the master cylinder. In all my infinite brilliance, I picked up the closest tool, the vice grips, and proceeded to slowly but surely squeeze the top and bottom together to take out the slack when... Can anyone guess what happened? Yes, it broke. The top piece, about 3 or 4 mm behind the hole for the bolt to go thru. I'm still trying to figure out why I was surprised when it did!!. In retrospect, I really could have lived with the 3 mm of verticle play. In my own defense, I am new to the "bending metal motorcycle parts" hobby, and I will probably need a little more practice before getting it just right.
    Anyway, The dealership want's over $200 because it's all one piece,and I have to buy a whole new master cylinder and resovoir. Is there anything I can do? maybe a miracle product that can bond the two pieces back together like a weld? Any ideas, no matter how far fetched would be appreciated, and can't possible be any worse than my own hideous judgement in this little episode. Much thanks to all for any input, and you can all stop laughing and shaking your heads now...
    thanks again, Dominick......

DAMN That suxbad....I have done some "brilliant things like that as well......I would think that you may be able to find one used.....I am sure there is a forum member that has one or maybe check E-bay.....U certainly have my condolonces

Comment

You could try JB Weld. Works kind of like epoxy where you mix the two parts together to activate it.
      You might want to practice on something first. This stuff gets wicked hard and will take some work to remove any excess applied.
      On the up side it takes paint rather well.

Comment

Before I paid $200 at the dealer, I would go look for a replacement at your local salvage yard. Even if you had to put in a rebuild kit (and I would) it would be a lot cheeper!

Hap

Comment

JB Weld is pretty good stuff, but, since you're dealing with your brakes, a pretty important safety related component, 8O I'd go the used route. Next time you want to get rid of some slack, try a washer, filing/grinding it thinner, if you have to, or cut one from suitable thickness shim stock.

Comment

DON'T use any adhesive product/ glue.

Guaranteed to fail and that failure could cost you your life.

Put an ad in the Wanted section on this site. Look in salvage yards, Look on E-Bay. DO NOT, under any circumstances, try to repair it yourself.

There may be a way to repair it, depending on how they see the damage, but you would have to have it done professionally at a weld shop, and only at one that specializes in working with aluminum.

If aluminum is not their specialty, don't go there.

You would need a rebuild kit after the repair was done.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

There are aftermarket levers. Even for a GS. I agree with all the other posts, DON'T TRY TO GLUE IT! This would be extremely dangerous. If it breaks, you would be sitting on an unguided missile!!!
              Aftermarket replacements should cost no more than $10 per lever (clutch and brake). That's what I would have to pay for a lever in Europe.
              As for the slack, next time try a nylon ring, or maybe two, to fill up the gap. You can get them at your local hardware store.

Comment

GS 750 / 1100 master cylinder

Dominick, I just happen to have a master cylinder off a "80" GS 1100 E laying in my garage. Mine should be the exact same as yours, except for the broke part. Any part that mine may need, yours should fit rite in. E-mail me.

Comment

Also "NEXT TIME" try using shims (thin washers) to take out the play.

Comment

Also, try talking to Nick. He did me good with a part I needed. He could have the very thing you are looking for.

Comment

OUCH!!!
                      I hate when that happens!!
                      to remove the play in my levers i found some neat nylon washers Worked great!

Comment

And the lesson learned here today children? Aluminum doesn't bend! Well actually it does, just a bit, BEFORE IT BREAKS! 8O

To quote your past president, "I feel your pain".
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Gidday Dom, I work in the aluminium business and those jap parts are usually made from melted down coke cans and are extremely hard to weld
                          I would'nt do it if it was my bike as the only way to weld it is with a tig and the result is usually a very porous weld, try and get a second hand one. Good luck.

Comment

The material it is made out of is not conducive to repair. Another master cylinder is the safest bet. While at it put on one of a single disc model...it improves the power of the brakes.

I also have a gs1100 spare mastercylinder in the garage, needs a rebuild kit..but then I am in Australia!

Comment

I strongly agree with NOT trying to fix it. Try and find a salvage one or get a new one. No weld, epoxy or glue can be trusted for a brake application.

As far as doing stupid things, you're not alone. That actually sounds like something I would try. You should have seen the mess I made when I broke an exhaust bolt. Should have been a relatively simple fix, but I screwed it up beyond belief doing it the wrong way.[/u]

Comment

Working...
                              X