Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston rings

Hello all,
    A quick question regarding pison rings on a 79 gs 850.
    Each of the first two rings(on each piston) have the letter "n" stamped on them, are these to be installed with the letters facing the top or bottom of the piston. Do the oil rings have a letter on them aswell?

Thanks

I would install them with the letter UP, verified by my maunal, there is no id on the oil rings Make sure to locate the ring gaps like it is shown in your manual

Comment

Lynn is correct, the "N" goes up. I don't remember any letters on the three piece oil rings. Make sure your ring gaps are not lined up with each other (I put mine 120 degrees apart). Also, if your are installing new rings check you ring end gap.

Hap

Comment

piston rings

Does the spacing also hold true for the three peices of the oil rings or do I treat the oils rings as a one peice unit ie: do all three peices of the oil ring line up, or do I stagger the three individual peices of the oil rings from themseleves?

Thank you once again

Comment

Re: piston rings

Originally posted by quietone
          Does the spacing also hold true for the three peices of the oil rings or do I treat the oils rings as a one peice unit ie: do all three peices of the oil ring line up, or do I stagger the three individual peices of the oil rings from themseleves?

Thank you once again
          That is a good guestion. I stagger the individual pieces of the oil rings. I've never seen anything written down for this but it just seems to make sense to do it that way and I've never had problems.

Hap

Comment

Ring stager
            top ring 8 O' clock position
            2th ring 4 O'clock position
            Oil ring
            side rail 10 O'clock
            side rail 2 O'clock
            spacer gap 12 O'clock

Comment

Working...
            X