Hard Shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Shifting

There are many threads on this topic but i haven't been able to rectify the situation from what i have read so will post it here.

1980/81 Gs1100Ex

50% of the time while shifting, most common going into first gear from neutral the bike will shift hard and loud. i have heard about gasoline leaking into the oil, and adjusting the clutch cable but both options seem not to have produced fruit. additionally when i look on the outside at the shifting lever it does not seem bent. From what i read doing any more intrusive investigation is going to be hard and messy. Am i mistaken? Is there anything else i should check?

Re: Hard Shifting

I notice on my 1150 (unlike my 750) that if the idle is set too high, Shifting into 1st is difficult and gives a clunk. Is your idle rpm set to 1000 rpm?
    My 1150 shifts smoothly into 1st if it idles at 1000 rpm, but at 1200 shifting is difficult. At a higher idle rpm, it is nearly impossible to engage 1st.

Earl

Originally posted by Orthok
    There are many threads on this topic but i haven't been able to rectify the situation from what i have read so will post it here.

1980/81 Gs1100Ex

50% of the time while shifting, most common going into first gear from neutral the bike will shift hard and loud. i have heard about gasoline leaking into the oil, and adjusting the clutch cable but both options seem not to have produced fruit. additionally when i look on the outside at the shifting lever it does not seem bent. From what i read doing any more intrusive investigation is going to be hard and messy. Am i mistaken? Is there anything else i should check?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have the same experience as Earl does - it seems idle speed related. If lowering the idle speed doesn't help you might want to check if any of your clutch plates are warped. Warped plates would keep the clutch from fully disengaging and make shifting more difficult.

Jeff

Comment

Yah ill try setting my idle lower its above 1200 right now...but thats another issue, i have a variable idle. I've just had a lot of trouble getting the bike running that i just want to ride it with the little problems it has. (variable idle might be due to the fact that i have cracked diaphrams in the carbs, but id rather just buy a new set of working carbs heh).

Dealing with warped clutch plates, is there an easy way to check if thats the problem?

Comment

Dirty oil or to heavy of oil can cause it, only use 10/40. Clutch draging would also be a very good possibility. The only way to check the clutch is to take it appart. To temp repair the carb diaphrams you can try repairing the cracks With Plastic coating liquid used to dip tool handles in, available at most hardware stores, apply it with a tooth pick. Get the carbs working right first

Comment

Yah ill try setting my idle lower its above 1200 right now...but thats another issue, i have a variable idle. I've just had a lot of trouble getting the bike running that i just want to ride it with the little problems it has. (variable idle might be due to the fact that i have cracked diaphrams in the carbs, but id rather just buy a new set of working carbs heh).

Dealing with warped clutch plates, is there an easy way to check if thats the problem?
            The only way that I know of is to place the plates on a perfectly flat surface and measure gaps with a feeler guage. I don't know what the tolerances are however. Your manual might have that info.

Comment

[quote="Mr. Jiggles"]

A piece of glass makes a good surface to check the disks and determine if they are warped. (I have used an old windowpane for this sort of thing.)

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X