Oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level

OK, all you experts. I have a 1980 GS1100E with an aftermarket oil cooler on it. When the motor is off, the oil in the sight glass is well above the ?F? line. When I start the engine the oil is sucked up into the motor and in to the oil cooler and the oil falls to exactly to the ?L? line. My question is; should I fill the oil to somewhere between the ?F? and ?L? while it is running or leave it alone.

Leave it alone, when the bike is running the oil level will disapear, like there is no oil. It should be checked with both wheels on the ground and the bike level. I usually leave it in gear on the side stand and pull the bike up level while watching the sight glass to see what the level is

Comment

Like cars, the oil level is measured while the motor is off. All that extra oil disapears around the motor etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Leave it alone, when the bike is running the oil level will disapear, like there is no oil. It should be checked with both wheels on the ground and the bike level. I usually leave it in gear on the side stand and pull the bike up level while watching the sight glass to see what the level is
        That's what I thought. Thanks

Comment

I have an oil cooler on my 2V 1000.
          If I fill it according to specs, it shows low, like right on the line.
          I generally run it towards the F or full line.
          No problems, clutch hooks up, hasn't blown any oil back and nothing out the pipe.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

the manual states to check oil level with the bike on level ground on the center stand, level should be between the add and full marks, full being preferred.

Comment

I had been checking my level with both wheels on the ground and not getting stellar shifting until I saw that in the manual. Checking the level on the center stand for me gives good shifting results, and I haven't seen any other problems from it.

Comment

Working...
              X