intermittently loosing two cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermittently loosing two cylinders

I have an 81 Gs 750E that runs fairly well, but will intermittently loose one/two cyliders. Can happen at low speeds or high speed. I will cruising down the road, and the bike will start to die out/bog down, much like you are running out of gas, then will kick back in and be fine for 5-10 miles/minutes. I have had the carbs out and apart, and nothing seems to be amiss. Also the plugs show no indication of what is going on. Not sure if the problem is electrical or fuel related. I have thought about getting carb rebuild kits, but don't want to invest the time/money if that is not the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Jesse

tap carbs with rubber mallet while running in neutral. May just have something intermittently clogging the carbs.

dm of md

Comment

Elec

Boy, that sure sounds like an electrical problem to me...My guess is that maybe one of the coils has a bad connection. Since each coil is responible for two cylinders, that could easily be it. You can check it out fairly easily. Let us know
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

just responded to another post about same situation..

and he's right could be a loose connection ..

Two distinct possibilities there.

1 & 4 Are on one coil

2 & 3 Are on the other coil

I just corrected the same "TYPE" of problem on one of my bikes (GSXR1100), but my GS1100 had the same problem before.
        There were two different solutions, for the same situation, a "Non-Firing" plug..

1st Scenario was the '81 GS1100:

Found Problem was the wire lead that "Twists" into the cap, that slips onto the plug had a bad connection.
        Repaired it by, disconnecting the wire from the cap, then cutting off approximately 1/4" on the wire, then "Screwed" the wire back into the cap..
        Voil?, problem fixed on the GS1100

2nd Scenario was the '94 GSXR1100:

Looked for the similar situation on the '81 GS, but no luck was making a good tight connection.
        Found that the spade connector had a BAD connection, where the wire "Crimped" into the connection, causing and intermittent short at first, but then total failure shortly there after.
        Repaired it by, getting a new shielded spade (female) connector, and crimping the wire into the new one..
        Voil?, Problem fixed on the GSXR1100

Good Luck, if all those things check out OK, could be your pickup or a loose connector the coil plugs into.
        Good Luck,
        Busafied

Comment

Working...
        X