HELP!!! 1983 GS1100 Electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! 1983 GS1100 Electrical problem

I recently bought a near-mint-condition 1983 GS1100 ES. I love it.

Everything on the bike has been running PERFECTLY until yesterday, when the dashboard/display unit stopped working. It just mysteriously died. This includes the engine temp guage, tachometer (speedometer still works), turn signals, brake light, gear position indicator, hi-beam indicator, etc. The engine starts and runs great -- it's just the indicator lights on the handlebar pod.

I have read in this forum that these bikes suffer from bad electrics, wire corrosion, grounding, etc. Does anyone know what the problem could be? or what the best approach to diagnose/repair is?

I am not a very technical person, so layman's terms are appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

First thing to do: Check the fuse box. Replace any blown fuse with correct size/rating.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Besides the fuse block there are also one, possibly two, in-line fuses located behind the head light that could also be blown or not getting a good connection. When checking the fuses use an ohm meter or replace them all. I have seen many times where a fuse appeared to be fine when looking at it but still not capable of conducting current. When it all fails at one time like your's did, that points toward a blown fuse (most likely) of a connection that came apart (possible but not likely).

Hap

Comment

This is a really stupid question, but where is the fuse box located?

Comment

Working...
        X