Brake Shoes Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Shoes Question

Does anyone know how thick brake shoes need to be to pass inspection in Pennsylvania? I assume its about the same in most states that require a yearly inspection. The guy I bought the bike from has recently replaced them right before I bough the bike but if I remember correctly I only have between 1/4in and 1/8in left. That just doesn't seem like enough but I don't know how much was there when I put them on.

I appreciate any input.

You most likely mean the brake pads, right? (shoes are drum brakes; pads are disc brakes).

Anyway, brand new pads come with maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch of material. I don't know what your inspection laws require, but the material on new brake pads on a motorcycle is a bit thinner than you might see on brake pads in a car. You're probably OK as long as the wear is fairly even.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

No its shoes, I have a drum brake in the real and disk brake up front. I seem to have one of the wierd models. Its less sporty or something. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I don't have drums but There should be a wear indicator on the backing plate, where the splined shaft goes thru If the lines line up? when the brakes are applied it is time for new shoes. That assumes that it is installed correctly by the last person to work on it

Comment

Working...
        X