Speedometer reading off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer reading off

The speedometer on my bike, a 78 1000 EC, seems to be reading about 10 MPH faster than what I am actually going. Do these bikes have an adjustment, short of changing gear ratio's, to fix this problem? I havent had a chance to look in the manual's yet, but thought I would ask on here anyway.

Thanks

Craig

Wow

Craig, maybe the speedometer came from another bike

I don't think there's any way that a smaller front wheel (non-stock) could make that much difference...unless it came from a mini-bike :P
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I suppose it could be from another bike, but it looks like a stock 78 speedometer, and im pretty sure the wheels and tires are stock also.

Comment

Is it off by 10mph all the time? Many older bike's speedometers can be as much as 15% off all the time, usually around 10% however.
        Many bike reviews will actually list speedometer error as part of their specs.

Comment

The error will also increase as the tire wears.

Comment

Wow

.......unless you run over a great, big wad of chewing gum...in which case, it will go back to normal :P :P
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

what size is the front tire?
              the tire size will have a big efect on spedo acuracy.
              when I was running the lettersize (mm90/19 I think) Dunlop on my bike, the spedo was dead on acurate, when I replaced it I got a 110/90-19 Himax, and it was a fair amout larger than the dunlop, and it threw the spedo off by 7mph, instead of doing 60, I was going 67mph!!

the Himax was only suspose to be one size larger but it had a big effect on the spedometer.

Comment

Working...
              X