Handlebar and break line woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar and break line woes...

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Let me say that this site has saved my bacon a few times in the last few months. I've read most of the past threads and learned a lot. This seems to be a friendly and knowlagable group of people. I look forward to spending way too much time here. :twisted:

Anyway...

I have a '77 gs750. I finally got tired of the old buckhorns and bought a set of 28" drag bars with 3" of pull back. I have the typical clutch and throttle cable problems which are easily remedied. My biggest PITA is the front break master cylinder and reservoir.

When the throttle tube and controls are mounted properly, there isn?t enough room between the controls and the triple trees for the master cylinder. The banjo fitting is crammed against the top of the fork and the break line has nowhere to go. Right now I have the banjo fitting pointing straight up and the break line looped in front of the speedo and down.

Also, there isn?t enough room for the break lever/master cylinder assembly to sit level. They?re twisted around the bars so the break lever has a slight upward tilt and the mirror is pointing at my crotch.

So, my question is...(drum roll, please)?

Can I replace the stock master cylinder/break lever assembly with one from another bike, or would there be problems with pressure differences ect? I?m sure I can find one where the reservoir either mounts in a different place on the bike, or is more compact. Also, would it be worth my while to make my own break lines, or should I just order them to fit?

Sorry for being so long winded, I just wanted to give you as much detail as I could. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. TIA.

My advice: don't use those bars. Use 2" risers. Drag bars are also famous for denting/scratching gas tanks (and yours looks REAL nice) at full lock.

Comment

I was able to easily go from a ruined 450 stock plastic master cyl to a 550 or 500, never saw the bike, metal master cyl. I love the looks of the metal and don't have to worry about the rot I had on the platic one. The metal one came off a 2 front disc bike and mine has a single disc. I haven't noticed any problems with it.

You can also get banjo-bolt adapters at various angle that might help, though looking at that setup... I guess not.

I also got flatter bars, but mine are a touch longer and I haven't been able to get them to kiss my tank at all.

Comment

Those bars are totally wrong for your bike,

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Those bars are totally wrong for your bike,
          What bars would you suggest? I don't want any rise.

Thanks, bgmart450. I'll start looking for a suitable replacement.

Comment

What if I were to get a set of these..

They would give me more clearance on the tank and tripple trees. Although, it's more expensive than getting a new set of bars. Hmmm.

Comment

Man, risers costing that much is a sin.

:x
              Dm of mD

Comment

These guys have a good selection of bars - http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...lebarsOne.html

Comment

Working...
                X