removal of front wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removal of front wheel

Anyone know how to remove the front wheel from a 1982 GS850gl so I can have a new tire put on. Thanks.

Prop the front end up with something under the crankcase. If it's like most GS bikes you'll need to remove the calipers and hang them from something with coat hangers or wire. Remove the speedo cable from the speedo drive. Loosen any pinch bolts on the fork that clamp down on the axle, then remove the axle. It threads into the fork.

Comment

I just replaced the tires on my bike. I took the rims off myself to save some bucks, and to clean the bike with the rims off. For the front tire, I put the bike on the centerstand, then took a floor jack and put it under the motor just behind the oil filter area and lifted the bike until the rear tire was touching the ground. The width of the wheel necessitates the removal of one side brake caliper. I removed the left caliper (if you are sitting on the bike, speedo side) by undoing the 2 bolts that attach it to the forkleg. Took a coat hanger and hung the caliper from the turn signal so it wouldnt hang from the hose connection. Remove the cotter pin on the right side of the axle, remove the axle bolt, loosen the fork bolt which pinches the axle on the right fork, then tap the axle thru using a screwdriver or such. The wheel should drop down and thru. The speedo cable attached to the left hub will drop out of the way. When installing the rim, be sure to line up the notches in the speedo hub housing with the grooves on the rim. This is also a good time to check/replace front brake pads. Not sure how different the 81 model is from the 82, but it looks similar. Have fun.

joe.

Comment

Originally posted by growler81
        ...then took a floor jack and put it under the motor just behind the oil filter area and lifted the bike until the rear tire was touching the ground. ...
        Does this mean you can jack up on the motor? I'm worried about it but can't find any other way to get the wheel up

Comment

I've always had case guards and used those to put jack stands under. I've never felt comfortable supporting the bikes weight on the bottom of the motor either. A couple of time I've used a horizontal 4 x4 on top of a jack and lifted up on the support bracket on the frame in front of the engine. That worked well too.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2006, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I put the bike on the centerstand. Then get a common concrete block (about 8" high", Put a 8" long piece of 1"x4" wood flat on the block. (block is now 8 3/4" high. Sit block behind front tire and in front of engine. Kneel on ground and with left hand, push up on lower fork tree. With right hand slide block with wood under the engine. Lower front end of bike gently with left hand. Front tire will sit about 1 1/2" off the ground. Take it out the same way. Been doing it that way for (dont make me say how many) YEARS. LOL Works fine on the 1100 and 1150 too.

Earl

Originally posted by Llamaguy
            Does this mean you can jack up on the motor? I'm worried about it but can't find any other way to get the wheel up
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Llamaguy
              You can use a floor jack safely if you put a piece of 2 x 4" wood above the jack contact point. The wood should be aligned from left to right, perpendicular to the wheel. The wood will probably rest on the frame instead of the engine, but in any case it's not going to damage anything. The jack is not really lifting anything, it's putting just enough pressure on the lower front of the bike to cause it to rotate enough on the centerstand to lift the front wheel. The wood will protect the engine and keep the pressure from being concentrated in one spot.

Having someone (or sandbags) sit on the back of the seat while the bike is on the centerstand will lift the front wheel. Using the jack does the same thing in reverse.

Comment

Gotta love the search engine. I have to do this as well.

Comment

I use a technique similar to Boondock's sandbags, but with a twist. I have a couple heavy concrete blocks that sit on the floor to either side of the rear wheel. A racheting tie-down strap goes from one, up through the luggage rack, and down to the other. A couple clicks and the weight pulls down the back wheel until the front is off.

Comment

I have a pit bull front end stand that does wonders. If you have the bike on a center stand or rear wheel stand, the front stand simply picks up the front end from the bottom of the forks. Quick, painless, sturdy, and gives plenty of room to work (compared to the front stands that attach at the steering head). They're kinda expensive, but to me, very much worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X