Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URGENT ADVISE REQUIRED

Hi guys,

I need a kickstart lever for a '78 GS750E. I've seen a GS550 lever for sale. Will it fit???

If you check on BikeBandit 550/750 both have the same part #

Comment

ahem....

perhaps something like that would have been a better place to start
      THANKS

I'll try to keep these sorts of questions for things that are a little less apparent!

Comment

Just won it on ebay, ?5.50.

Should give the battery a bit of a rest! Now the real fun begins. I'm going to spend the next 12 months stripping & rebuilding the GS and will keep you posted of anything of interest I discover along the way.

I had the alternator cover off yesterday and noticed the magnets are chipped. Will this effect the ability to generate a good charge?

Comment

It may be ok, only chipped from the cover being removed. Was the charging system working ok?

Comment

no, not really. I haven't had a chance to test it fully as the battery kept draining trying to start it. The timing may be out, the carburation is pants and it didn't have a kickstart lever! (not to mention terrible home-made wiring :? )
            As you can imagine, this was a bit of a drawback!
            Still, the idea now is to strip it and rebuild it completely over the next 12 months. I plan on calculating output/requirements/load and rewiring completely anyway, that is most likely the source of power-drain/lack of charge.
            I want to give it a good clean and get aquainted with any issues that may surface later. There are also a couple of stripped threads which will need to be addressed.

When buying older bikes (and especially ones you know have been 'tinkered with'), I think it's good practice to get intimate with them. It beats firefighting problems just to keep you on the road later.

I think this forum will be a real god-send. I'm glad I stumbled on it! 8)

Comment

Working...
            X