Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch drag and slip on GS450e

Hello,

I have a Suzuki GS450e (1987) which i am having problems with. I find it very hard to change gear with the engine running but is no problem when stopped. When the engine is running i cant select neutral once i get in gear.

I have tryed to adjust the clutch at the bars, cable and adjustment screw in the crankcover but i can never get a happy medium between clutch drag and slip.

It has a new cable, lever and plates.

I spoke to a mechanic who said to check the number of plates which i found strange but did it any way. It has 7 friction and 6 steel but the haynes manual says it should have 7 friction and 7 steel. I contacted 2 local suzuki dealers who said the haynes manual is wrong and it does have the right amount.

Please can you give me some advise because i am begining to get frustrated.

Thank you very much.

Peter Crawford

Sounds like you checked it , Did you check the plates for warpage, What kind of oil 10/40 is best it is what the trans likes, what condition was the clutch basket in-- if there are alot of grouves warped / plates it could cause the clutch not to release properly You said that you changed the plates What kind of plates did you put in it I would check the thickness against the specs

Comment

Only the friction plates were replaced by the previous owner. The plates seem in good order and are not warped. I could check the basket again to make sure but my main concern is the confustion on the number of plate required. I dont know what type of oil was in the machine but when i took th cover off the oil seemed new and clean with no metal filings etc. i still dont understand why i can change gear with the engine off but not on.

Any more ideas?

Comment

have you tried to change gears with the bars moved?
        Full lock in either direction? Of course at a stand still.

This could show if the clutch cable, you said it was new, is kinked or routed incorrectly.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

When the motor is running there is drag on the clutch, it's like trying to shift without the clutch. When the engine is off there is no drag so it shifts easy. Make sure it is not idling too high. http://www.bikebandit.com and look up your clutch but I would say the dealer is right & adding another disc would make the problem worst

Comment

The problem is definatly not the cable routing or snagging.

The bike idel is not too high either.

There is a noticeable degree of wear on the clutch adjusting mechinism inside the engine cover but this should be taken up by the cable, i think, although im not sure. When the clutch is applied the turning motion of this mechinism doesnt seem to move outwards a great deal.

Could this be the problem?

Peter

P.S I appreciate the help im getting.

Comment

The problem is definatly not the cable routing or snagging.

The bike idel is not too high either.

There is a noticeable degree of wear on the clutch adjusting mechinism inside the engine cover but this should be taken up by the cable, i think, although im not sure. When the clutch is applied the turning motion of this mechinism doesnt seem to move outwards a great deal.

Could this be the problem?

Peter

P.S I appreciate the help im getting.

Comment

If there is an adjuster on the engine cover try adjusting it like this. Loosen the cable a bit using the adjuster at the lever. Then loosen the locknut on the adjuster at the engine cover. Turn the slotted screw in until it lightly seats. Then back off 1/4-1/2 turn and retighten the locknut. Then adjust the cable at the lever until you have about 1/8" of play between the lever and the perch.

Comment

Thats what i done originally but couldnt adjust the clutch properly. It was either dragging or slipping. I cant adjust it to a happy medium. It seems that the adjuster is too sensitive.?

Comment

Working...
                  X