Stuck high idle comes and goes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck high idle comes and goes

I have an '80 GS850 GL with 16K miles on it.

Last season I had the bike in pieces and got it back together just before it got too cold to ride. I took a couple of short trips (the under 10 mile variety).

The bike always started right up and seeemed to run pretty well. After it warmed up the idle would seem to stick high -- not wicked high, but enough so that it sounded like I wasn't dethrottling fully when I shifted. At stops it would be high for a couple of seconds before coming down to idle (1000 rpm or a tad below).

I put some time into trying to fix it until I decided it wasn't problem enough to keep me from riding.

I was also fouling plugs more often than I would have liked.

Yesterday I took the bike out for the longest ride yet -- 35 miles. I started with a full tank and at 31 miles I topped off the tank (.095 gallons -- so I'm getting something better than 31 mpg)

During the ride the bike ran well. The high idle problem seemed to have fixed itself over the winter and I decided that maybe all the bike needed was a break from me piddling and adjusting things all the time.

At about 29 miles I noticed the high idle problem had returned. The same as described above. When I shifted it sounded like I had not dethrottled fully. At stops the bike idled high for a moment or two then dropped to about 1200.

Last night, as I watched Alias, I got to wondering about fouled plugs. I went out this morning and fired the bike up: I'm firing on all four cylinders.

The bike typically starts without any choke at all. This morning I had to choke it a bit -- but it was probably about 35F at the time.

The bike was garaged with Stabil in the tank.

My questions:

- What type of problem comes and goes like this?
    - Could a small piece of rust have found its way into a hole last year, and then rusted completely away over the winter ... to be replaced by a similar small piece of rust this year?

I have an in-line fuel filter that allows me to keep an eye on rust particles ... hopefully it keeps most of them out of the carbs.

As always, thanks for the help.

Oh -- I don't know if this matters, but the exhaust is the original. There are holes in the back end of the mufflers as big as the backs of my hand.

I didn't get around to replacing the exhaust last year.

Comment

I would check the choke linkage & choke cable adjustment along with the throtle cables Make sure it is not hanging up on any hoses

Comment

For some that may have a similar problem, the solution to this is mentioned here ...

Comment

Working...
        X