My thanks to all those that helped...Here is 'Lazarus'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thanks to all those that helped...Here is 'Lazarus'

I couldn't have made it this far without all of you and your wisdom.
    Thank you so much for helping me to learn how to do this.

I followed the advice of Ryan and SqdancerLynn and checked out the throttle cable.
    It WAS adjusted too tight. I then unplugged the vent nipples like AOD and Keith Krause told me to. I also checked my float valves and float
    needles as per their instruction. Grit and rust particles. I cleaned them out and reinstalled the carbs. Hooked everything back up
    and the bike started and ran at a steady 1500 rpm once it warmed up.

I took the bike for a spin around the block and noticed that it would not accellerate (soggy/boggy)
    when the throttle was twisted past the 2k rpm range in 2nd gear. I believe that means I need to lower my jet needle one notch
    and adjust my mixture screws.

I pulled the bike back into its spot and it just then crapped out and died on me. I pulled the plugs and sure enough....carbon-fouled on all four of them.

I reinstalled them after cleaning them up a bit. Readjusted the gap to 0.6-0.8 like the manual says.

The dynojet manual suggested 5 turns out but it was smoking when idling and smelling heavily of unspent gas
    at the exhaust pipes so I then turned the idle mix screws in to 3 turns out total instead of 5. The smoky idle
    went away almost immediately and the smell of heavy gas disappeared as well.
    I went out and got some new plugs and installed them and took the bike for another run.

This time the response was much better upon accelleration. No more bogging down but the smell of heavy gas
    came back while running the bike in the 4k rpm range cruising down streets in 2nd gear. I then remembered that
    I hadn't lowered the needle jet one clip. So I rode back to the house and parked it to work on the bar-end mirrors.

Tomorrow I will take the carbs back off and lower my jet needles one position and purchase a motion-pro carbtuner from JCWhitney.

For now, I present to you (In working order) LAZARUS!!!!

God bless you all and thank you all ever so much!!
    Thanks and blessings,
    "Dm of mD"
    Damien

Are tires next on the list?

Now that it's running better, make it handle better.And stop better.

Glad to hear the Resource helped another bike back from the ashes.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Ooooooohh yes, a new rear tire is getting purchased this friday.
      Can't run around on that one its totally bald in the center.
      The front one seems good though. Passed the penny test.

Dm of mD

Comment

What are those air filters on there?

Comment

Those are EMGO pod filters.
          They are the 54mm Version that fit the BS32ss CV Mikuni carbs.

Dm of mD

Comment

OK Detman, now we gotta hook up and ride brother
            I need some GS cruising. It is hard to soar like an eagle
            when I am surrounded by swine All my buddies around
            here are all on big fat heavy cruisers or semi-chops or Harley's.

I want to ride with old Jap bikes! New ones too but they give me
            a work out. I just want to let the old bikes roll

Comment

Hoomgar, once I get the bike registered and tagged and running with new rubber we are going for a ride!!!!
              I too would like to ride with some people that know what I'm doing and talking about. I have only one friend that rides a bike close to like mine and he doesn't know that much about his own bike.

Dm of mD

Comment

Let me know when your ready to roll and we'll iron out some weekend ride plans for sure. I don't know why (couldn't be this forum 8O ) but I am so stoked to ride this year.

I need fumes in my life!!!!

Comment

sounds like you got it all worked out DM...see i told you it'll turn out okay.

bike looks good...enjoy the ride!

Comment

Hoomgar, will do!!

AOD, thanks bud. I really appreciate the help.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                    X