A 'slipping sensation' Jumping chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 'slipping sensation' Jumping chain?

Hello, everyone. I have a problem that's just shown it's ugly head. When I accelerate at 3/4 to full throttle, in first or second gears, I feel this skipping sensation. :x I hear nothing, i.e. a clunk, except the one time I got it to do that at a start, and it sound like it was coming from the chain. It's much worse when I'm riding 2-up. My front sprocket is new, rear one probably original/20,000 + miles. No, I'm not an idiot, I plan on changing the worn sprocket; I already have one. I need to plan this repair as I'm probably getting a kind friend's help. I just want to plan ahead, if that's not definitely the case. Your input is appreciated.

-Sean

Sounds like a worn clutch plate to me (maybe?). Not my regular realm, but it's sounds like under high torque you're clutch plate is slipping. May need to be replaced or may need tighter (replacement) springs.

Anybody any clearer on this?

Comment

Can't imagine chain and sprockets giving you this sensation. If the sprocket was so badly worn to let the chain jump, you'd know about it.

The symptoms sound like a slipping clutch. When you accelerate hard, especially in lower gears, the engine revs fast but the bike doesn't accelerate. The cause may be worn clutch plates or clutch springs that have given up. Or both.

Comment

Sean,
        Do you think it could just be a loose chain that isn't jumping? You can really feel a difference between a tight chain and loose a loose one when snapping back the throttle even if you aren't jumping a tooth. As for a slipping clutch, mine slips when I unload going into 2nd but it doesn't make a sound.

Steve

Comment

The clutch slipping sounds right to me also. Seems you'd notice one of the sprockets getting torn up pretty good. Or maybe the chain getting derailed.

Comment

The clutch slipping sounds right to me also. Seems you'd notice one of the sprockets getting torn up pretty good. Or maybe the chain getting derailed.

Comment

Sorry about the above... I tend to repeat myself.

Comment

Had the same problem myself and also thought it was a chain sproket type thing. Turned out to be a combo of that and the clutch. Make sure the chain is adj. properly and look into the clutch. I had made the mistake of thinking a non-o-ring chain would be okay until I could afford a total restoration. Bad choice! Don't ever let a sales guy talk you into anything but the best chain. My clutch plates were also worn causing a knocking as I engaged it. Good luck!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                X