Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS750 Fork seal placement (with picture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Fork seal placement (with picture)

Hi all,

I am changing the fork oil seals, but i can't figure out what the right position of these seals are (top/bottom). One side is flat and has a metal surface, the other side is rubber (this side has a little spring on the inside).

There were also metal rings below the old seals, with a small upstanding edge. Should i place these rings back in? On the Bikebandit scheme there seems to be a metal ring, but in my technical book there is no ring drawn.

Thanks!

Eck

seals

Never replaced the seals on forks..yet but with 99% of seals the spring (called a garter spring) is used to keep pressure on the moving part in a static situation. Think of it like this, you want the air/oil pressure to hold the seal lip against the moving surface....Mike

Comment

Re: seals

Mmmm, okay thanks for the first advice

Still not sure what top and bottom are of the seal....

Eck

Originally posted by mikemilburn
      Never replaced the seals on forks..yet but with 99% of seals the spring (called a garter spring) is used to keep pressure on the moving part in a static situation. Think of it like this, you want the air/oil pressure to hold the seal lip against the moving surface....Mike

Comment

The open side with the spring goes to the inside of the fork

Comment

sorry eck

Wasn't trying to be vague or a smart a**, never said my explanations were the best :-) ...Mike

Comment

fork oil seal orientation

Hmm. March. I suspect you've finished the job by now. Guys, you've got the right answer. I can say for sure that the open side of the seal with the garter spring goes down (to the inside of the fork) .

I know this because I rebuilt the forks on my 86 750ES. Handling was a bit squirly, so I opened up the forks and found unequal oil levels. Both very low. I replaced seals, bushings, etc. I installed the new seals the same way they were before (the wrong way). Guess what? Forks pi**ed out oil. Now I know why they were low. I'm now trying to get my new seals out and flipped over without wrecking them. Not so much for the money, but don't want to wait for new ones to come in. Nice riding weather is here.

Too bad I didn't check here before installing.

Comment

Working...
            X