Speedo Drive Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Drive Gear

I am trying to get inside and lube my stiff drive gear for the speedo. I researched the FAQ's and a couple of people posted about how they removed the snap ring and pulled the seal out and re-greased the bearing. My question is how do you get the seal out? I removed a snap ring, washer, and the thingy with the 2 tangs, and i cannot see how to get the seal out without destroying it. I tryed to get under and pry it with a screwdriver/scribe, and no luck. Any suggestions??

Anyone? :twisted:

Comment

I looked on the parts fisch and their are NO repair parts listed for the speedo drive. What you need to do is remove the plastic plug. if you look at the connection for the cable you will see 4 notches. Using a pair of needle nose pliers unscrew it and you will be able to remove the gear I would try and spray some wd40 into the unit or soak it overnight in some oil then reassemble it

Comment

OK, thanx, I will try that.. :twisted:

Comment

I've got a weird knocking tapping that seems to be coming from the speedo assembly in the front myself... anyone else notice this?? the guy I got it from said it had always done that. I have one from ebay but just haven't had time to pull the wheel, is it much trouble?? could it just need grease??? 8O

Comment

And the speedo on my bike (77 GS550 if it matters) has occasional "nervous needle" - works ok most of the time but then starts bouncing around all over the scale. Should I try regreasing the drive or could it be the gauge?

Debby
            1979 GS1000N
            2019 Kaw Z900RS
            plus a few more

Comment

Try the drive first, I removed mine, unscrewed the plastic plug thingy with a pair of snap ring pliers (worked real good for getting on those little indented tab thingy's) flushed it out with brake cleaner in a can, let dry, then greased the inside with a grease gun, just squirted it in 'till full, screwd the plastic plug back in, and cleaned off the excess, installed and made a world of difference, speedo makes no noise, and is rock steady. :twisted:

Comment

You need to grease your cable if it starts bouncing.

Removing the wheel to change the speedo drive is a 10 minute job if you have an extra cotter pin handy.

Steve

Comment

I am going from memory here as I last repaired a drive many years ago...

The drive tangs can wear and break. I think I welded one speedo drive to fix it. Putting some grease in it every now and then can help. If the speedo wobbles a bit try lubing the drive cable and making sure it has a smooth line to the speedo. Sharp knks are not conducive to cable life.

Comment

Working...
                  X