Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes rear mono shock for 85 GS 700ES??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes rear mono shock for 85 GS 700ES??

Ok I want to get my bike back on the road and replace the stock rear shock.
    I thought back in the day that fox made one for my 700ES - and I know I've read posts that talk about that model - But I just went to FOX web site and sent them an email - they say not available!!!
    Well anyone know of a decent rear shock still to be had??
    Thanks and email me directly at
    AG007@msn.com
    JAG

try these guys

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

BikeBandit.com still lists the OEM as still being available.

FOR $725.50!!!!!!!

Try fitting a stock shock from a newer bike, like a 1200 Bandit. I hear it can be done, I just don't know the details. I may try this myself this summer - they can be found on Ebay pretty cheaply.

Or see if you may be able to get your current shock rebuilt. Let us know what you find out - there are a score of mid-eighties 750E and 700E riders here who would be very interested...

-Q!

Comment

Just did some digging around...

Works Performance sells a shock for a 1983 GS750E (should be the same for your bike) - they have 3 different models, ranging from $489-$659.

Which is more than half of what I paid for my bike!!!

But, they may be able to rebuild your existing shock for around $150 with their performance parts.

I also checked the comparison charts, and the overall length of the 1200 Bandit shock is just under 3/4" shorter than the GS750E shock. This shouldn't be too radical of a change from the stock height, and you should be able to get a longer spring if you want the ride height to stay the same.

And there's one on Ebay right now for $36.00!!!

-Q!

Comment

BikeBandit.com still lists the OEM as still being available.
          Why would you want to put another stock shock back on? They weren't very good to start with and the aftermarket has gone leaps and strides since then.

But, they may be able to rebuild your existing shock for around $150 with their performance parts.
          Lindemann Engineering (www.le-suspension.com) will rebuild your stocker, as will Race Tech (http://www.racetech.com). Either one will be WAY cheaper than replacing your shock with anything bought new.

I also checked the comparison charts, and the overall length of the 1200 Bandit shock is just under 3/4" shorter than the GS750E shock. This shouldn't be too radical of a change from the stock height, and you should be able to get a longer spring if you want the ride height to stay the same.
          Don't forget that your 3/4" length difference gets multiplied through the linkage, so it will be more like 1.5"-2" at the wheel, which is a major change. Changing the spring length has nothing to do with the shock length when extended, that is set with internal spacers. You will never get your Bandit shock to be as long as the stock GS shock unless it is length adjustable in the first place.

Someone here mentioned that an early 90's GSXR shock was close to the same length as the stock GS1150 shock, check into that, too. There are lots of options around for the GSXR's and you could find a used aftermarket shock and get it rebuilt to suit your bike weight and useage for a lot less than any new one will cost.

Mark

Comment

A year or so ago someone here was going to have Lindemann take a look at their 1150 shock to see if they could rebuild it. The only thing LE thought might be a problem is installing a valve to charge the shock. The 700 shock is basically the same shock. After looking at my stock shock to see if there would be room for a valve it looked to me that it would be possible. Send them your shock and let them have a look. They do great work. Lots of racers use them.

If you wanted to use one like the one on Ebay you could always have something machined to make up for the 3/4" and end up with the right type of eye on the bottom of the shock. It could be bolted or welded to the bottom of a GSXR or other shock.

I believe the R6 Yamahas have the right mounts on both ends of the shock. Not sure about the length though.

Comment

Hello & thanks for the replies

As a 1st timer here I want to say thanks to all who have replied, your ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated.
              I know I have sent a PM to a couple of you asking for direct responses, in fact a Trevor thought that Billy Ricks was one who had done this before.
              Although I can't say I have any special sense of feel that tells me the rear shock is bad. I just know from day one that my bike was not as taught droping into a high speed corner as I would like.
              She will wallow & wiggle until she settles down - it's no big deal as long as your expecting it - but there have been some critical situations where it almost put me into a bank or off the side of the road.
              I will check into getting the stocker rebuilt - but my main question would be what kind of imporovement I can expect and or limitations due to the fact the stock shock has certain aspects that can't be improved??
              Again I am no expert on any of these issues and was really hoping to speak with those who understood the pros & cons of any direction.
              It sounds as if a few have been thinking of doing something along these lines - but and correct me if I'm wrong - to date none have???

Also it does sound to me that a few of you are pretty savvy about the mechanics - physics & mods etc. needed to make changes that would allow a shock mod that did not have exact match dimensions to possibly work.

Once again thank you all for your input and please allow me some extra grace and time to get my "weak brain strong" about these ideas.

I guess if I do check with different companies mentioned about rebuilding my stocker --- There are certain questions & aspects I need to understand and know before????

I did already asked the folks at FOX about a rebuild - and they said they could "re-vavle" it for about $150.00.
              I have no idea what improvement that would make??
              Wouldn't the stock spring be an area to check into??
              How about the stock adjustments of preload and damping - Is this something that can be improved???

So those who have this shock - know it - and can help me understand - Please take me to school a bit.

Thanks to all
              Jack

Comment

Check that thread out. The only thing I would do differently is adapt some bronze bushings in the modified mount.

Comment

Hello Billy Ricks

Thanks for the referrence - I can't say that I can clearly see or understand
                  all I'm looking at.

I really can't make out this "Spacer" that is being pointed out??,
                  And it seems to me that of the few different approaches talked about - One main concern is finding a shock of the same length??

In looking at this photo from the thread - That "U" shaped bracket at the top looks like it could be re-created in a size with more reach if needed.
                  Your thoughts???

But if I understand what your saying Billy and some concerns that were brought up in the discussion - Your suggesting a bronse bushing to use where the bolt goes through to mount the top piece up??

Wouldn't that require the use of smaller diameter bolt - sufficient to clear whatever the thickness of the bushing was??

Back to the issue of length: Is this model shock supposed to be the same length??

Thanks again to all for the help here.
                  Jack

Comment

I did already asked the folks at FOX about a rebuild - and they said they could "re-vavle" it for about $150.00.
                    I have no idea what improvement that would make??
                    Wouldn't the stock spring be an area to check into??
                    How about the stock adjustments of preload and damping - Is this something that can be improved???
                    A little background here - if they can re-valve it, then the shock uses what is called "shim stack" damping. This means that the damping control is provided by a stack of washer-like shims that cover oil passage holes in the piston. The way it works is as the piston moves up and down inside the shock, oil must pass through holes in the piston. To do that, the oil must force the shims to lift off of the piston enough to let the oil move. The amount of damping can be changed by changing the shim stack. This is the same system as used in "cartridge" forks. It should be noted that shocks were and still are way ahead of forks in the type and sophistication of the damping systems used. It is possible to tune low and high speed compression and rebound damping separately and provide almost any type of damping curve you want with current aftermarket shocks like the Penske's.

Anyway, if Fox is saying they can do a re-valve, it means they will strip the shock, re-work the shim stack and then put it back together with new oil. This will make a major difference to your shock's performance. If done properly, it should be about equal or close to a standard Fox Twin Clicker in performance. The big advantage the TC has is a much bigger range of damping adjustment on the adjusters and it is much lighter than the OEM shock.

Your stock spring won't affect the bike wobbling and wallowing, but it is likely too soft (especially 20 years later) for best performance. The spring should be changed to the proper rate for your bike and weight, then the damping rates are set to compliment the spring rate. Do both and you will not believe it's the same old shock on your bike.

The stock adjustments should be used to optimize your set up for you, but with a 20 year old stock shock, you need to get it rebuilt and set up correctly with a new spring, then use the adjustments to fine-tune things. I have a suspension set up sheet that I could mail to you if you want. It gives a procedure for setting preload and damping that gets you into the ballpark and will make a big difference to how your bike handles. Send me a PM with your e-mail if you are interested.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X