Spark plup caps ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plup caps ??

My 1979 ( aprox ) GS 750, is not firing on all cylinders ( similar to me at times !!! ) so.... when I removed one of the spark plug caps, while running, on a cylinder i know was not firing ( cold exhaust ), the cylinder started to fire when I had the cap about 1/8 inch away from the plug. When I re-connected it.... it would not fire ! I tried juggling the wire...while connected... but would still not fire. The only time it works, is when I find that sweet spot 1/8th inch from the top of the plug.
    Also.... on the top of the spark plug, there was a small sleeve screwed on to the top of the spark plug. As the old plugs did not have this sleeve, I removed these as well. Since I received this bike after a 10 year storage period from a friend who owned it.... I dont know the origional set up of the plugs (sleeves).
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice

to be more clear... the spark plug sleeves i removed were the sleeves from the newly purchased plugs... the ones i found on the bike when i got it did not have the sleeves attached

Comment

What I would do is replace all 4 Get a NGK VB05F for 2&3
      XB05f for 1&4 The screw on connectors on the plugs are not used

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        What I would do is replace all 4 Get a NGK VB05F for 2&3
        XB05f for 1&4 The screw on connectors on the plugs are not used
        Lynn, Is this what you use on your 850? Different for 2&3 because they get less cooling?
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Electrically they are the same just a different angle The NGK are about
          $3.50 versis $16.00 for Suzuki

Comment

Working...
          X