Sprockets (GS400)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprockets (GS400)

Hello I'm Deidre and welcome to SHPROCKETS! (for all you Mike Meyer's fans)
    Now, on to business. I'm replacing my sprockets and chain as soon as cash is permissible. My old setup was 15 teeth up front and 44 in back. I want to increase top end speed as much as possible without losing all acceleration. So, who's running with what right now? I read that I should go as big as possible up front first. I talked to the guys at my Suzi shop about 3 or 4 months ago about how big/small I can go, but I don't remember the numbers now. Any real disadvantages to big front small rear(other than lack of accel.)? My bike would top at about 140km/h last year(roughly 87miles/hr). I don't NEED more speed than that, but I'd like to have it, or at least be able to go at 120-130 without really pushing it. Thanks guys,

Re: Sprockets (GS400)

For a 400, you probably would not want to increase the countershaft by more than one tooth. (there may not be room in the case for the chain to have clearance for more than that increase anyhow) The real question is what rpm do you now have at 87 mph? If you are at the peak torque at your rpm for 87 mph, then adding a tooth to the sprocket will not increase your top speed, but it will decrease your acceleration and increase your gas milage.

Earl

Originally posted by Barry Rivers-Bowerman
    Hello I'm Deidre and welcome to SHPROCKETS! (for all you Mike Meyer's fans)
    Now, on to business. I'm replacing my sprockets and chain as soon as cash is permissible. My old setup was 15 teeth up front and 44 in back. I want to increase top end speed as much as possible without losing all acceleration. So, who's running with what right now? I read that I should go as big as possible up front first. I talked to the guys at my Suzi shop about 3 or 4 months ago about how big/small I can go, but I don't remember the numbers now. Any real disadvantages to big front small rear(other than lack of accel.)? My bike would top at about 140km/h last year(roughly 87miles/hr). I don't NEED more speed than that, but I'd like to have it, or at least be able to go at 120-130 without really pushing it. Thanks guys,
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

As far as I recall, the engine is not reving really high, the bike just doesn't go faster than that. I think the guy at the shop told me 16 or 17 for the max front sprocket, (at 15 now) so I'll try 16, or maybe both, for like 10 bucks each. What about rear? Again, thanks a ton

Comment

I'm running a 16 front and 45 rear as stock and can't really get above 130 km/h. I don't remember what the RPM is at that speed but I'm going to guess 7-8000 but in every other gear I can hit 10,000 no problem.

I think the solution is to swap the rings out and check the head if you want to hit 100mph like the bike is supposed to be able to do.

Steve

Comment

So if stock is 16, 45, then mine at 15, 44(as long as I can still count) is geared for better accel. and low top end? I'll go to stock then and see how it feels. Can't wait to get out there!

Comment

What is redline for your bike? Redline is on the downhill side of the the torque curve, so if you are at redline with the 15 tooth sprocket at 87 mph, then going to a 16 tooth probably would increase the top end. If your rpm is particularly low at 87 mph, then your engine is unable to "pull" the lower gear you already have and going to higher gearing will reduce top speed further.

Earl

Originally posted by Barry Rivers-Bowerman
            As far as I recall, the engine is not reving really high, the bike just doesn't go faster than that. I think the guy at the shop told me 16 or 17 for the max front sprocket, (at 15 now) so I'll try 16, or maybe both, for like 10 bucks each. What about rear? Again, thanks a ton
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Barry: The teeth change by model year for some reason.

Earl: Redline is 9k so in my case the bike could rev an extra 2k with different sprockets. I'm not too concerned for my bike though, I've already got a spare set of sprockets sitting here and may never use them.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X