83' GS750 ES tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83' GS750 ES tranny question

I have been a GS fan for some time. I own a 82' GS 1000 Katana, but I have a question regarding a 83' GS 750 ES.

My father told me I could have a GS 750 ES that has been in his garage since 1984. The bike has about 3,000 miles on it and is suffering from neglect. It breaks my heart to see it sitting there dust covered, all in one peice and not being used. My only concern is what put it there in the first place.

My older brother and his heavy right wrist did something to 2nd gear. Everything purred on the bike when it when into storage, except 2nd gear. When you ride the bike, starting out in 1st, then shift to second it automatically goes to third gear.

I was wondering how much work would go into diagnosing and fixing that gear? I don't know what was causing the bike to skip 2nd (broken gear itself or maybe something in the selection process). I really don't like the idea of splitting the cases and my wife certainly doesn't like the idea of me having another Suzuki in need of repair in the garage that tests my patience and wallet.

Kevin
    Atlantic City NJ

You have to split the cases. If you decide to do it? I may have a set of trans gears from 82GS750 should work Haven't taken the bottom appart yet to make sure they are good

Comment

Interesting, they didn't change the tranny between 82 and 83? They changed pretty much everything else.

Comment

Don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the tranny from prior years will work in '83-'85 GS750/700.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
          Don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the tranny from prior years will work in '83-'85 GS750/700.
          I'd be surprised too since the whole 83 GS750 gearbox is shorter (fore-aft) than that for the '82.

BB

Comment

Well maybe it won't fit I don't know for sure

Comment

Working...
            X