coil conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil conflict

This is specifically for anyone with the 650E chain-drive model.
    I'm shopping for coils.
    Bike Bandit doesn't list the 1981 GS650E specifically, but they have pictures for the GS650Gx, and for the GS750E.

Here's the conflict -- the picture for the 650G matches what is on my bike.

But the Suzuki dealers, and bikebandit tell me to order the other -- more expensive coils that look different -- and are also spec.d for the 750E among others.

So, either my bike has been modified, or the catalog is wrong.
    Could somebody with a gs650E tell me this -- Are your electrical contacts on the opposite side of the coil from the spark plug wires -- like mine? Or are there electrical wires coming out of the coil from the SAME side as the spark plug wires -- (like the more expensive coils they want to sell me)?

This link shows the 650GX with the slightly less expensive coils that actually look like the ones on my 650E.

I know they're all similar, and I wouldn't worry about it, except that I'm told there are some 3 ohm coils and some 7 ohm coils, and I don't want to accidentally get the wrong ones, new or used. On the other hand, if my bike was modified with the wrong ones, I want to fix that.

Clear as mud yet?

Thanks,

Tim
    :roll:

coil update

Hmmm. Although I still haven't seen a diagram for the 650E yet, I think
    I may have figured something out. The last digit on the bikebandit part number is either 3 or 7. The E apparently requires the 7 ohm coils, which are unfortunately more expensive than the 3 ohm coils for the other 650 models. Just my luck. Back to e-bay.

Comment

For your 650, you need a 3 ohm coil. The one pictured in the URL you posted is the same one as is on my 79 750. It would work just fine on your bike.
      Cycle recycle also lists some universal dual plug lead coils on their site in 3 ohm that would work.

earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

How about these

there are also some accel coils on Ebay

Comment

Working...
        X