Anybody ever use an APE clutch kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever use an APE clutch kit?

Anybody ever use this APE clutch kit with the extra plate? I will be purchasing an APE clutch hub nut and thought I may get one of these as well.

1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

will you also be changing the springs on the pressure plate.????

Comment

good price too, i need new plates but i dont wont a stiff clutch and i think the HD springs will make it harder????

Comment

It looks like prings come with the kit. I just replaced the springs last summer so I may use the ones I just put in or the ones supplied with the kit. Why do you ask?

I am trying to get rid of a noise I get from 3500-4000 rpm (seems to happen in 5th gear only) that is loud enough for me to hear when I am driving that never used to be there. Last summer I replaced the clutch springs and changed to 20-50 oil and the noise is definately quieter. It is not so noticable until the bike really warms up. Although the clutch shifts smoothly and does not slip it has not been replaced since... geeze...late eighties maybe. Mind you I did not ride it much in the early to late ninties. I can definately take off in 2nd gear...I read somewhere that if you can do that the clutch is going. I am going to take it apart soon and see what I find before I purchase anything.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

I just couldnt see doing a heavy duty upgrade with stock springs.

I have just switched from the 10 and 10 clutch setup bck to the 9 and 9 . I cant see any diference in the way it grabs under a power shift. I like the idea of the basket being upgraded. while you have it out are you changing to the 750 oil pump gears or have you already done so??

Those 1100s can take off in fifth gear. The springs in the basket are usually what give noises.

Comment

I have found the bolts that hold the springs in will stretch and become weak. Last time I did some clutch work, I broke two of the six bolts and ended up replacing them all. Some of the others were bent so I just changed them all.

I've used a 10 clutch system and they work fine (I think it was Barnett clutch plates....I'm not sure) but right now I have the stock nine plate clutch and its' a good perfromer.

Hap

Comment

Slowpoke, When you say the springs in the basket are you talking about the springs in the hclutch hub rebuild kit further down the page on the same web site?

I do plan on changing to the high volume gears. i don't have a stock basket, it was replaced in the mid eighties.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Hap, thanks for that advice too. I saw in a post that you and a couple others had snapped them off. I have a local source for the grade 8 bolts in standard and metric sizes.
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano
                  Slowpoke, When you say the springs in the basket are you talking about the springs in the hclutch hub rebuild kit further down the page on the same web site?

I do plan on changing to the high volume gears. i don't have a stock basket, it was replaced in the mid eighties.
                  I was referring to the sprongs in the hub as far as noise. and i wasd alaso talking about the springs in the pressure plate being heavy duty if you are beefing up the clutch in any way. i had a wacky experience with noise a few weeks back. my center hub nut was loose. I still think i mde some sort of error when i replaced the hub laST YEAR AND IT DIDNT SHOW UP TILL NOW. AT LEAST THATS WHAT I THINK.
                  cAPS LOCK KEY AND I DONT GET ALONG TOO WELL

Comment

can i use grade 8.8 bolts for the clutch or do they have to be 8?

Comment

It looks like 8.8's are even stronger than 8's. I know they use grade 8's in automotive applications where strength is reguired...mounting bumpers etc.

Here is some info http://www.americanfastener.com/tech...ings_steel.asp

Fastener sizes, diameters, grades, strength, tensile stress area, thread shear area, etc., metric and imperial, for designers and engineers.
                      1982 GS1000S Katana
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                      X