In Need Of Some Serious Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Need Of Some Serious Help

Ok, here is the deal. I just got done rebuilding my engine in my 78 GS1000E. Everything went fine and I got the engine back in and everything connected back up except the carbs, which still need rebuilt ( only got 1 rebuild kit instead of 4 OOPS) anyways tonight i decided to put some oil in it to see if it leaks anywhere. To my surprise all of the gaskets are not leaking at all, but unfortunately the bottom engine bolt on the right side of the bike seems to be a little long and when I tightened it down putting the engine back in it cut into the engine bock a little and it is leaking from there. I have no idea how to correct this problem. I need a cheap fix for this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. It is not a big hole, but enough that it is dripping oil pretty regualarly. Thanks for all of your help.

Clean the area and use some JB Weld on the hole

Comment

Won't JB grip the bolt? I think a small amount of clear silicone will stop the leak too. Or possibly a thin copper crush washer. They use copper washers to seal the outer head bolts from oil leakage. I'm not sure which bolt we're talking about.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

So...the engine block has a hole in it and is leaking?

Or

The bolt has leaking around it?

From what you wrote I gathered that the bolt dug into the engine block when you screwed it in (bolt was too long) and it caused a leak/crack on the engine block.

Am I correct?

Dm of mD

Comment

Me personally I would get it welded.
          I know you want the cheep fix but
          in my experience cheep fixes to major
          engine components (such as the crank
          case that hold the oil) only end up
          being more expensive.

I would discourage you from trying
          to patch it with something quick and
          cheap.

Especially since you say you just had
          the engine rebuilt. you have gone to
          all that trouble and expense to do it
          right.

Comment

correct Detman the bolt was too long and dug into the engine block causing it to leak.

Comment

I pictured that wrong. If the leak is coming out of the bolt hole around and over the threads as he said then it isn't as alarming. I would use some black non hardening silicon sealer and gob the hole and the bolt up with it and then drive it in. Clean off the excess when done. That should plug her right up.

When I first read this I pictured a hole punched into the side of the case by a bolt that traveled to far. Not a hole inside the thread socket.

Sorry about that

Comment

In order to make it leak, it had to have pushed some case metal into the oil chamber. It may have just bent it over or made a crack. It may also have broken off into metal shards that are now in the oiling system. Does anyone have an idea about whether this may be a problem?

Another possible vulnerability is that the integrity of the case metal in that area may have been compromised such that it may fail under some conditions such as heat or load. That's probably worth thinking about, too.

I'm also wondering how bad is the leak. If the bolt is tight in the threads and there is no pressure on the oil, then I'm surprised that it would be leaking at all. If it's more than a few drops, then it may be a sign that there is a problem with the case.

Comment

Originally posted by teckley
                  correct Detman the bolt was too long and dug into the engine block causing it to leak.
                  I almost had that happen whilst installing my case guards. Luckily I caught it before I cracked my case with that long bolt. I quickly broke out the angle grinder and cut that bolt shorter so it fit. Added 2 washers too just to be safe.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would get the case welded. That jiffy-weld stuff has a tendency to not be as permanent as they claim it is. But that is just my experiences. As small of a leak as it is it couldn't possibly cost too much to get it welded back closed.

Dm of mD

Comment

To be honest your last post was what I thought of first no mater what or how it happened. But I saw you wanted the easy fix and backed off. I should stick to my guns and not be so wimpy

I really think that after you have done what you say you should pull the engine and split the cases open again and check it out. Then get it welded and fix it right. It may seem like a big deal now but 6 months from now when your riding you will have forgotten all about the bother it was and you'll be glad you took the time and extra effort to make it right. The worst of it is a new gasket set, some more time and whatever it costs to get it welded which should not be much.

If it were my bike that is exactly what I would be doing.

I sure hope it all works out for you.

Comment

To clarify things up this is the bolt I am talking about.
                      [/img]

Comment

sorry bro your pic didnt display, what file format is it? I think it needs to be jpeg. Or perhaps if you stuck it in a link to a web address or something.

Anyway whatever it is I side with Hoomgar, I always try and find the cheep way of fixing something and in the end doing it right the first time is always the cheepest. I would weld it, then again I have a welder. I dont know that I would pay someone to do it (cause I'm CHEEEP.. also broke) :P

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                        X