GS750EX (trouble) floats question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750EX (trouble) floats question

OK, so I took some of (all) your advice and concluded it to be the carbs. I took them off last night and saw that the intake runners were saturated with fuel (thus explaining 3 gallons of fuel in 50 miles and the black soot covered plugs ). So, I took the float bowls off and see that "somehow" (too many beers?) the floats seemed to have been set too high. I reset them -- but that brings me to my questions:

1) Does anyone know on these BS carbs (hum, that sort of makes sense ) whether the float level is set using the high or the low step on the float body? When inverted, the float has a step equal with the metal portion (with the tang) and then steps down almost 1/8" then slopes downward. It's not clear where the high spot is on this float.

2) Do these plastic floats need to be replaced a lot? I "floated" them before I put everything back together. I'm told by a co-worker that the alcohol in our local fuel can saturate these pretty quick and may explain why it rusns OK for a few miles and then starts to run crappy again.

The reason I ask... I put it all back together last night and rode it to work today. It ran (fairly) well until about 1/2 mile from work and started running as bad as it was prior to the float adjustment-- like I didn't fix anything. Pulled the plug and it's black. So, it's either needle and seat (all of them) or floats (all of them) or ?

I'm very cornfused.

Roger Moore

81 GS750

carb problems

Hey Roger,
    I don't think your problems had anything at all to do with the float levels but it's good you adjusted them if they weren't set right. The measurement is taken from the gasket straight up to the top which is the brass set-up that connects to the float. It should read between 21.4 - 23.4MM. If you don't have a caliper, you can precisely take a measurement on a stiff piece of cardboard...it will work just as well.

If your floats were leaking, I think you'd have noticed that when you took them off because they'd swish with the gas inside them. I had that problem once on a car but never on a bike.

I think your problem is located either in your pilot jets or the o-rings that surround the needle valve seats. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Considering these are "plastic" floats, do they swish? They seemed pretty much OK to me, and at 16 bucks a shot, I hate to shot-gun that much money again.

The carbs are newly rebuilt with all new o-rings and gaskets and jets. I've drained the bowls and found no sediment, though I plan to add a fuel filter to the system this weekend.

I've determined that it's very intermitant. At lunch it ran just fine, no symptoms of the problem. I'm beginning to wonder if it's heat related, since it appears to run OK when it's fairly cold, and it's only running crappy when it's come to equalibrium temp (a guess).

Thanks,

Roger

Comment

Roger It could be an ign prob.If you have points change the condensors.If electronic it could be the ignitor unit under the r-side eng cover.Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        X