New tire needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tire needed

Hello everyone. I'm working on getting an 82 GS450Tx running, and it needs a new rear tire. The size is 110/90-17. That seems near impossible to find, especially in a tube type tire. There seems to be more variety in a 120 width tire , for example, a 120/90-17. Will this tire work, or do I need to keep looking?

Thanks,

Steve Small

You can easily go up to the 120 with no issues, can probably even go with a 130/80/17 if you want wider and no taller. That said, I have never worked on your specific bike. 10mm increase is about 1/5th of an inch increase to both sides of the tire...do you have at least that much clearance?

I have never had a problem going 1 size wider than stock, plenty of room in most swingarms on these older bikes.

Kenny

Comment

You've got a 17 in the back? What size rim does the bike have up front? My 400 has 18s front and rear. You can go one up no problem and more importantly you can put a tube in a tubless tire.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        You've got a 17 in the back? What size rim does the bike have up front? My 400 has 18s front and rear. You can go one up no problem and more importantly you can put a tube in a tubless tire.

Cheers, Steve
        Thanks, I don't know why I hadn't considered that you could use a tubeless tire with a tube, but that has helped out with my choices.

I don't have the bike here, but I think it has a 19 inch front wheel...

I have another question now...

How hard is it to change a tire and tube, or is that something best left to a professional?

Thanks Again,

Steve

Comment

It's one of those things that you are best off learning while watching somebody else do it. It's not hard to do (well, it can be physically demanding at times) but it can be tricky.

Steve

Comment

It's not hard to do (well, it can be physically demanding at times) but it can be tricky.
            That depends on the tire type. Old bias ply tires and dirt bike tires, not usually a problem. But new radials (especially the wide rear tires) are BRUTAL. It is unbelievably hard to get the second bead over the rim. I tried one with a buddy and ended up taking it to a shop with power equipment to get it done. I doubt I will ever try that again unless it's a dire emergency. 8O

Mark

Comment

Working...
            X