No Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Go

I am seeking some advise in relation to my 1982 GS650E. I can't get the thing to start. When I push the start button, nothing happens. I have replaced the start button unit on the handlebar, the solenoid, and the starter is fairly new. Right now, I have a mechanic working through the wiring and he is having a difficult time. Does anyone have any advise to give me?

John Mayfield
    GS650E
    Gainesville, FL

pull the clucch in and try starting it.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

YOU need a new mechanic 8O

Comment

First, does it push start? Then we worry on the wiring.

Comment

Get a volt meter and check it 12 volts from the battery (fuse) goes to the stop/run switch, to the starter button, to the clutch switch, to the starter relay (green/yellow wire) activating the starter simple.

Comment

tried

I can't push start it. I also can't get it started off the solenoid. The wiring is about all that is left. I was hoping someone knew of a regular malfunction that causes this. Checking the wiring is a pain. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Comment

Gs gator there isint much too the wiring it just takes a little time I have the diagram if you need it. I too have a GS 650E, do as SqDancerLynn1 said.

Do the simple things first make sure the fuses are ok mainly the MAIN and IGNITION. turn the bike to the on position with the key and to the on position on the kill switch. Get your multimeter turn it to DCvolts 20 scale check the battery voltage with it, make sure it reads 12-12.4 or so. Then go back to the fuse box and check the ..? Orange/white wire I think? From the fuse box. It should read near the same reading you got when you checked your battery. The wire goes from there to a 6 bar connector which is located behind your headlight. Look in there make sure none of the connectors are melted. You will see 2 wires that are Orange/white, I think one leads to your kill switch the other one goes to your coil I think? or it comes back from the switch to the coil... ANYWAY.. Poke all of the Orange/white wires with your positive pokie thing on your multimeter. You should get a reading around the same as you got from the fuse box.

If not your problem lies inbetween there. If you do get a reading continue onward. The O/W wire goes to the kill switch, open the kill switch and check for any brittle wires and such.

I havent slept in 2 days right now due to a massive headach so I hope this made sence.. I had the same problem and I was able to fix it thanks to Earlfor and patience and my new best friend, the multimeter.

Get back to me with the results and we'll go from there.

By the way, when did it last start? Any strange symptoms at the time? Did the bike tend to start once you released the start button?

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                pull the clucch in and try starting it.

-ryan

Ditto. I thought my Gs750L was a wreck until I squeezed the clutch by accident in frustration while trying to start it.

:P
                Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                X