Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got tires, need tubes...do I need Rim Strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got tires, need tubes...do I need Rim Strips?

Just got my Metzelers this morning after 3 weeks of waiting. I need to get some tubes. I saw that Metzeler makes them but they cost more. Look to be worth the extra $$ perhaps.

Do I need to get "Rim Strips" even though I have mag wheels on my 80gs1000e? Are they the same as "Tire Strips?" Do they go between the tube and the rim or between the tube and the tire? I am confused.

My 77gs550 has spokes, tubes and strips. I think the strips went against the rim to insulate against the spokes.....not against the tire....now I can't remember. Arrrgh!

You're right the rim strip goes on first to cover the back of the spokes. I don't thinks that there would be a lot of use for one on your mags. You might check to ensure that the inside of the rim is smooth so there is nothing to cut or pinch the tube there.

Mike

Comment

I haven't used rim strips with my tubes in the mag wheels. I wouldn't spend much additional to get the Metzler tubes.

Comment

With mag wheels, why tubes or strips ?

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          With mag wheels, why tubes or strips ?
          Exactly................come on over to Joe's garage and we'll mount and balance those Metzelers tubeless-style!

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
          X